your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Taiwan Expects a Wait before Acquiring US Submarine Technology

Taiwan expects a slow absorption of U.S. military submarine technology due to technical barriers and opposition from its chief rival China, despite Washington’s agreement this month to let American contractors pass on the sensitive information.

In early April, the U.S. Department of State agreed to grant marketing licenses to American defense contractors that offer Taiwan the technology, military officials in Taipei say. Taiwan plans to develop its own conventional submarine.

Washington had prohibited those transfers before because of the information’s sensitivity, military scholars in Taiwan say.

“This is the very first step. Contractors can openly discuss these issues with their contractors in Taiwan,” said Andrew Yang, secretary-general of the Chinese Council of Advanced Policy Studies in Taiwan. “However, we still don’t know how much can be approached.”

Obstacles in China

China protested to the United States April 11 over its agreeing to licensing of submarine technology, with a foreign ministry spokesman saying any U.S. effort to “play the Taiwan card” would fail.

American contractors keen to sell technology to Taiwan would risk getting cut off by China if they do business there, too, said Alexander Huang, strategic studies professor at Tamkang University in Taiwan.

“There is a long way to go before that any shape of submarine can be contemplated,” Huang said.

Taiwan and China have been separately ruled since the Chinese civil war of the 1940s, when the Nationalists lost and fled to the island. Beijing insists that the two eventually unify, though opinion polls in Taiwan indicate most Taiwanese oppose unification.

China has a more powerful military than Taiwan’s and has not renounced threats to use force if Taiwan declares formal independence. Beijing resents the United States, which has the world’s most powerful armed forces, for helping in Taiwan’s defense.

Last week’s announcement in Beijing of live-fire naval drills in the strait west of Taiwan on April 18 was meant to warn Washington and Taipei, said Yun Sun, East Asia Program senior associate at the Stimson Center think tank in the United States.

China would particularly oppose a senior official’s visit to the island under the Taiwan Travel Act approved in March, Sun said.

U.S. officials could tone down their support for Taiwan’s submarines or ramp it up after those drills, said Huang Kwei-bo, international affairs college vice dean at National Chengchi University in Taipei. Washington values its economic ties with China but backs Taipei as part of a loose alliance of Asian Pacific democracies.

“The drills in the South China Sea and the Taiwan Strait, what’s the impact?” the vice dean asked. “Whether it will make the U.S. think twice or accelerate its help for Taiwan, I don’t know, but it will definitely have an impact, whether positive or negative.”

If anyone involved in the submarine technology copies it to China as a spy, he added, Washington might reconsider its level of military aid to Taiwan.

Legal and technical barriers

In early 2016, the Taiwan Ministry of National Defense found local manufacturers to develop a $3.3 billion submarine within eight years. That hardware would join Taiwan’s slow-growing effort to build its own military technology rather than relying on sales from abroad. Today the military operates two aging submarines bought from the Netherlands in the 1980s.

Taiwan is starting from scratch to build its submarine, pointing to a long discussion process with any willing American contractors, Yang said. To get a deal from an American contractor may take more U.S. government support, he said.

The U.S. government periodically sells Taiwan billion-dollar-plus arms packages that include military expertise. It never before included anything as far-reaching or sensitive as submarine technology, they say.

The defense ministry must develop a budget for any technology if negotiations reach that point, ministry spokesman Chen Chung-chi said. He said it had set no timeline for getting the U.S. submarine technology. 

It would take time to negotiate with contractors, arrange a budget and wait for possible legislative discussions, he said.

Because the U.S. navy no longer uses the type of diesel-electric submarines that Taiwan hopes to build, a willing American contractor may also need to “find spare parts” for Taiwan, Alexander Huang said. “We still are in the beginning of it, at square one,” he said.

But the ministry spokesman called the U.S. nod to submarine licenses a “breakthrough” with “major significance” that he hopes will inspire more military technology transfers.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Переможниця «Євробачення» Кончіта Вурст повідомила, що є носієм ВІЛ

Переможниця музичного конкурсу «Євробачення» в 2014 році Кончіта Вурст (Том Нойвірт) заявила, що вже багато років має позитивний ВІЛ-статус. Як написала Вурст в Instagram, ця інформація не має жодного значення для суспільства, але її колишній друг погрожував розкрити громадськості цю приватну інформацію. За словами Вурст, вона нікому не дасть права лякати її і впливати на її життя в майбутньому.

Вурст розпочала терапію, щойно дізналася про свій діагноз, і тепер виключає можливість передачі вірусу іншим людям. Небажання обговорювати це питання публічно співачка пояснює прагненням захистити від зайвої уваги свою родину. Краще зробити зізнання самостійно, щоб «зробити ще один крок проти стигматизації людей, які через свою поведінку або не зі своєї вини заразилися на ВІЛ», – написала Вурст.

Станом на 1 грудня 2017 року в закладах охорони здоров’я під медичним наглядом перебували 139 394 ВІЛ-інфікованих громадян України, з них 42 666 хворих з діагнозом СНІД. Найвищі рівні поширеності ВІЛ-інфекції зареєстровано у Києві, в Одеській, Дніпропетровській, Миколаївській, Херсонській, Київській, Чернігівській областях.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Екс-директор ФБР: Трамп «морально непридатний» для посади президента США

Колишній директор Федерального бюро розслідувань Джеймс Комі заявив, що президент США Дональд Трамп «морально непридатний» для роботи на посаді. Про це Комі заявив 15 квітня в інтерв’ю телеканалу ABC, присвяченому виходу 17 квітня мемуарів Комі «Найвища лояльність: правда, брехня та лідерство», в якій екс-директор ФБР докладно описав свої стосунки з 45-м президентом Сполучених Штатів.

Комі твердить, що Трамп «постійно бреше про великі та малі справи і стверджує, що американці вірять цьому».

Джеймс Комі в своїй книжці звинувачує президента Трампа в тому, що він «неетичний», неправдивий, і порівнює його з «босом мафії», який вимагає абсолютної лояльності від підлеглих.

Новий раунд словесних баталій між Комі і Трампом стартував 12 квітня, коли американські засоби інформації повідомили про зміст книжки екс-директора ФБР.

13 квітня Трамп назвав Комі «відомим зливачем і брехуном», звинувачував у брехні в Конгресі під присягою та заявляв, що «пишається тим, що звільнив Джеймса Комі».

15 квітня президент США знову відреагував на висловлювання Комі. «Я ніколи не просив Комі про особисту відданість. Я навряд чи навіть знав цього хлопця. Ще одна з його багатьох брехливих заяв. Його «записки» – це самовихваляння та фейк!» – написав Трамп у мережі Twitter.

Комі був звільнений з посади в травні 2017 року. Пізніше, на слуханнях у Сенаті Комі висловив переконання, що Трамп звільнив його через розслідування Федеральним бюро розслідувань зв’язків американських офіційних осіб з високопосадовцями Росії.

Опоненти Трампа вважають, що, звільнивши Комі, президент втрутився в розслідування, що неприпустимо.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

На біржі триває обвал акцій компанії Дерипаски: UC Rusal втрачає ще чверть вартості

Акції російської алюмінієвої компанії UC Rusal, що потрапила під американські санкції, на торгах 16 квітня продовжують оновлювати історичні мінімуми. Станом на 8:40 за Києвом цінні папери UC Rusal подешевшали на 24% до 1,55 гонконгського долара (це менш як 20 американських центів), свідчать дані Гонконзької біржі.

У перебігу торгів акції російської компанії опустилися до найнижчої вартості з моменту виходу на IPO в 2010 році. Тоді акції UC Rusal розміщувалися по 10,8 гонконгського долара.

Акції російської компанії дешевшають на тлі обіцянок Вашингтона оголосити в понеділок про нові санкції проти Росії. Обмеження стосуватимуться компаній, що займаються поставками до Сирії, відзначила посол США в ООН Ніккі Гейлі.

Міністерство фінансів США внесло UC Rusal і її основного власника Олега Дерипаску до списку санкцій 6 квітня. Санкції передбачають повну ізоляцію компанії від американської фінансової системи, в зв’язку з чим компанія оголосила про можливі технічні дефолти.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

2 Christians Killed in Pakistan Shooting

Two members of Pakistan’s Christian minority were killed Sunday in a drive-by shooting in southwestern Pakistan.

Unidentified gunmen shot at a group of people leaving a church in Quetta, capital of Baluchistan province.

Eight others were injured in the attack.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, though Islamist militants have carried out similar attacks on religious minorities in the region in the past.

Earlier this month, a day after Easter, Islamic State claimed responsibility for an attack in which four Christians were killed.

Baluchistan province has experienced an increase in militant attacks in recent months.

Baluch separatist militants, the outlawed Pakistani Taliban, and extremists linked to the Afghan Taliban allegedly operate out of the Pakistani province.

Pakistan authorities said IS loyalists are using bases in “ungoverned” areas of neighboring Afghanistan for attacks against Pakistan.

IS also claimed responsibility for a suicide attack on a packed church in Quetta last December in which nine worshipers were killed, and dozens more were wounded.

 

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

US: Joint Operations Continue to Decimate IS in N. Afghanistan

U.S. special forces in partnership with Afghan counterparts have eliminated 22 Islamic State fighters in a counterterrorism operation in northern Afghanistan.

The operation occurred April 11.  The targeted militants were attempting to defend Darzab district, the group’s “strategic center” in Jowzjan province, said a U.S. military statement Sunday.

On April 5, a U.S. airstrike in Darzab killed IS commander for northern Afghanistan Qari Hekmatullah and his bodyguard, dealing a major blow to the group.

The Middle East-based terrorist group runs its regional extremist operations under the name of IS Khorasan or IS-K.

The U.S. military said persistent joint military pressure in Jowzjan has “reduced IS-K to an isolated group of fighters devoid of leadership.”  Since the beginning of the year, 90 IS-K fighters have been killed in Afghanistan, a majority were eliminated in Darzab, the U.S. military added.

“The recent Afghan and U.S. special operations raid will lead to the tactical defeat of IS-K in northern Afghanistan,” stated Gen. John Nicholson, who commands U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan.

The U.S. military said IS-K in Jowzjan “now selects its leaders from a dwindling, revolving door of insurgents with a history of divided loyalties.”

Jowzjan is next to Afghanistan’s border with Central Asian states.  IS-K’s increasing footprints in the area have raised alarms in Russia.  Moscow insists the terrorist group is establishing its bases in northern Afghan areas to threaten security of Russian regional allies.

IS-K has appointed Mawlavi Habibul Rahman, an Uzbek militant leader, as commander, following Hekmatullah’s death.  Sunday’s statement said the new leader has had intermittent ties to both Taliban and militants linked to the outlawed Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan.

U.S. military commanders, however, dismiss Russian assertions, saying Moscow exaggerates any IS presence in Afghanistan to justify its overt ties to the Taliban insurgency in an attempt to undermine Afghanistan’s gains against terrorism with the support of international partners.

Afghan leaders said there are currently less than 2,000 IS-K fighters in the country, mainly operating in eastern province near the border with Pakistan and contradicting Russian claims that the number runs into several thousands and that militants fleeing Syria and Iraq are also joining them.

 

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Rapes of Young Girls Trigger Protests in India

Thousands of people gathered Sunday across India demanding justice for two young victims of rape and raising questions over why safety for children and women still eluded the nation despite tighter laws.

 

It was the biggest display of public anger in the country since the 2012 gang rape of a physiotherapy student in the Indian capital sparked nationwide protests.

 

Outrage flared this week after the brutal gang rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl from a Muslim nomad tribe in a Hindu dominated region of Indian Kashmir in January hit national headlines. The case came to attention after lawyers shouting Hindu nationalist slogans tried to block police from filing charges in court against eight accused men, all Hindus.

Among those who had protested their detention were two ministers of the Bharatiya Janata Party in the local Kashmir government.

 

The two ministers have since resigned after facing accusations of obstructing justice, the Supreme Court has demanded answers from the lawyers for their conduct and Prime Minister Narendra Modi has promised to ensure justice for the accused.

Women shortchanged

 

But this has failed to quell the growing tide of anger in the country among ordinary men and women. Holding placards in cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Kolkata, they called for swift action to punish the culprits, speedier trials and harsher punishments for child rapists. “Hang the culprits,” said many placards.

 

Among the protesters in New Delhi was 37-year-old professional, Aditi Sengupta. “I have reached a saturation point. I am done with the way the country has short changed the women.”

The case of a 16-year-old girl in Unnao in Uttar Pradesh, who has accused a powerful BJP lawmaker in the state of raping her last June has also stirred anger. The lawmaker was only arrested on Friday, following widespread outrage over the victim’s family’s allegations the local police had stonewalled their attempts to file a case against him. The family has also accused him of conspiring with his brother to beat up the girl’s father, who later died in police custody. The case only came to public attention after the young girl tried to kill herself in front of the Chief Minister’s office.

 

The case is now being investigated by federal police.

 

“The need for justice is obvious but what has been happening of late is that it takes too much outrage and so much protest for people to even sit up and say that yes, something is wrong,” actress Sameera Reddy, who joined the protestors in Mumbai told a television channel.

 

Political analysts say the two incidents could have a fallout for the Hindu nationalist government of Prime Minister Modi, which faces national elections next year. In particular the protests by Hindu activists against the arrest of the men accused of raping the eight–year-old in Kashmir have deepened unease that the government is not doing enough to rein in Hindu fringe groups that have been emboldened under BJP rule.

 

“It also shows probably the challenge that is coming from the extreme right, fringe groups to this government,” says political analyst Neerja Chowdhury. “Maybe I feel it is a turning point.”

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Президент Німеччини Штайнмаєр закликає до діалогу Заходу й Росії

Президент Німеччини Франк-Вальтер Штайнмаєр висловив стурбованість зростанням «відчуження» між Росією та Заходом і закликав до відновлення дипломатичних зусиль, спрямованих на виправлення пошкоджених зв’язків.

Штайнмаєр визнав у поширеному 15 квітня інтерв’ю виданню Bild am Sonntag, що отруєння колишнього російського подвійного агента Сергія Скрипаля та його дочки в Британії було «дуже серйозним інцидентом». Але він додав, що «ми повинні бути принаймні стурбовані прискоренням відчуження між Росією та Заходом, що має наслідки, що виходять далеко за межі справи».

Штайнмаєр також сказав, що, хоч і правильно було накласти на Росію санкції через її агресію проти України, «ми не можемо відмовитися від прямого діалогу». Він також застеріг проти демонізації всього російського народу: «Незалежно від Путіна, ми не можемо оголосити всю Росію, країну та її людей, нашим ворогом».

Франк-Вальтер Штайнмаєр є президентом Німеччини з 2017 року. До обрання на цю посаду він з 2013 року працював міністром закордонних справ Німеччини і брав участь у роботі «нормандського формату» для врегулювання збройного конфлікту на Донбасі. З його участю були укладені Мінські угоди. Штайнмаєр є представником Соціал-демократичної партії Німеччини, яка входить до владної коаліції.