$1*/ mo hosting! Everything you need to succeed online with us!
Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Aid Group Opens Clinic at Afghan Site of Deadly US Airstrike

The international aid organization Doctors Without Borders says it has opened an outpatient clinic in northern Afghanistan.

The new facility in Kunduz province opened almost two years after a U.S. airstrike demolished the group’s hospital there, killing more than 40 people, including patients and staff members.

“We decided to restart medical activities in Kunduz because the needs are big…,” said Silvia Dallatomasina, head of Doctors Without Borders programs in Afghanistan.

Dallatomasina said the organization plans to open a hospital in Kunduz next year and has been seeking assurances from various sides in the conflict in Afghanistan to guarantee the safety of patients when the facility opens.

The United Nations human rights chief said the 2015 bombing of the Doctors Without Borders hospital could be considered a war crime.

The U.S. military has called the bombing “a mistake,” with then president Barack Obama issuing an apology and promising compensation for the victims.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Indonesian President Orders Officers to Shoot Drug Traffickers

Indonesia’s President Joko Widodo has instructed law enforcement officers to shoot drug traffickers to deal with a narcotics emergency facing the country.

“Be firm, especially to foreign drug dealers who enter the country and resist arrest. Shoot them because we indeed are in a narcotics emergency position now,” Widodo said in a speech delivered at an event held by one of Indonesia’s political parties late on Friday.

His remarks have drawn comparison to that of Philippine’s President Rodrigo Duterte, who launched a brutal anti-drug crackdown about a year ago that saw many alleged drug dealers killed.

The bloody campaign in the Philippines has drawn condemnation from the international community, including the United Nations.

Indonesia also has tough laws against drugs. Widodo has previously been criticized for ordering executions against convicted drug traffickers who were given a death penalty by the court. Rights activists and some governments have called on Indonesia to abolish the death penalty.

Friday’s shooting order from Widodo came a week after Indonesian police shot dead a Taiwanese man in a town near the capital Jakarta.

The man, who was part of a group trying to smuggle one ton of crystal methamphetamine into the country, was killed for resisting arrest, police have said.

After the incident, Indonesian National Police chief Tito Karnavian was quoted by media saying he had ordered officers not to hesitate shooting drug dealers who resist arrest.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

South China Sea Dispute Smolders as Trump Administration Weighs Approach

The first six months of the Trump administration saw relatively few confrontations over the territorial disputes in the South China Sea; however, analysts and officials say the lack of public conflict does not mean the issues have disappeared.

Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., who serves on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations and chairs the Subcommittee on Asian Pacific Affairs, told a conference in Washington this week that “China’s militarization of the South China Sea is real” and the situation remains a “crisis.”

Speaking at the Seventh Annual South China Sea Conference, Gardner described the region as a test for American leadership to deter Beijing’s hegemony.

“If the South China Sea is not resolved, what is the next step?” the senator asked.

​High stakes for key region

The South China Sea extends more than 3.5 million square kilometers in the western Pacific Ocean. Countries including China, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, as well as Taiwan, have certain claims over its sovereignty.

In recent years, China is seen to have taken actions in an attempt to secure its claim to large areas of the South China Sea for military and economic purposes.

The United States has said that it does not take sides in the rival claims but does oppose actions to militarize the region. The U.S. has been sending military planes and ships near contested islands where China has built up military infrastructure, ignoring Beijing’s assertions over what it says are Chinese airspace and territorial waters.

The reason so many nations are interested in an otherwise desolate stretch of open ocean is because it is a crossroads for international trade and is believed to have vast oil and gas reserves.

“Whoever controls the South China Sea controls East Asia, whoever controls East Asia controls the world,” said Alexander Vuving, an analyst attending the conference.

Vuving, a professor at the Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies in Honolulu, compares the sea lines of communication in the South China Sea to arteries in the body. He explained to VOA that they provide a lifeline for the Asian economy and are also critical for military transportation.

Vuving believes Washington should try to halt China’s rising sphere of influence, before brokering a potentially peaceful and enduring power-sharing arrangement among the stakeholders in the region.

​Robust strategic posture

Ely Ratner, a former Obama administration official who is now a senior fellow in China Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations, suggests that the Trump administration adopt a much more robust strategic posture. He warned that adopting a policy with a goal of “conflict prevention, reducing tensions” created, in his view, “a risk aversion that has led to a permissive environment for Chinese assertiveness.”

Instead, Ratner proposes “a policy based on deterrence, and if deterrence fails, denial.”

For this to work, he says policymakers will have to be willing to bear the inherent risks and potential instability of a more deterrence-based policy. He says factions inside the Obama administration favored communication between Washington and Beijing over confrontation.

It is not yet clear to what degree the Trump administration will continue the previous administration’s approach. Bonnie Glaser, China Power Project director at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said the U.S. Navy is on track to log 900 ship days this year in the region, up from 700 in 2016.

Ratner, the former White House official, says the notion that China is “unstoppable, escalatory, willing to risk all” is a myth, “quite contrary to our experience over the last several years.”

As if to confirm Ratner’s assertion, Xue Chen, a research fellow from Shanghai’s Institute for International Studies, told the conference that China’s late leader, Deng Xiaoping, decades ago reached the conclusion that the South China Sea problem is intractable, that there would be “no way out,” only entanglements with sovereignty disputes. Xue said Deng proposed joint development instead.

Strategically ambiguous ‘Nine-Dash Line’

Xue went on to say that China has never clarified the nature or extent of what falls within the “Nine-Dash Line,” referring to the demarcation line used initially by the government of the Republic of China (ROC/Taiwan), then subsequently by the government of the People’s Republic of China (PRC), for their claims of vast areas in the South China Sea.

Instead, Xue said, “there has always been a debate of the value of strategic ambiguity” versus a clear statement within China.

The merit of such ambiguity, Xue said, lies in allowing room for interpretation and maneuvering concerning both China’s sovereign rights in the South China Sea, as well as leaving a certain amount of room “for imagination and future cooperation with other claimants.”

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Australian Death May Be 18th Linked to Takata Air Bags

An Australian man who died in a Sydney car crash may be the 18th death linked to faulty Takata air bags, after police said he was killed when hit in the neck by shrapnel from an air bag.

Police did not say the air bag in the Honda CR-V was from manufacturer Takata, whose faulty air bags have been linked to 17 deaths and more than 180 injuries worldwide.

However, Honda Australia director Stephen Collins confirmed on Saturday that the vehicle involved was linked to the worldwide recall.

“The vehicle involved, a 2007 Honda CR-V, was the subject of Takata airbag inflator recalls,” Collins said in a statement, in which he offered the company’s condolences to the family of the dead driver. “Honda Australia is working closely with authorities to provide whatever assistance is required.”

Takata has declared 2.7 million vehicles to have potentially defective airbags.

Takata Corp filed for bankruptcy last month after being forced to recall around 100 million air bags worldwide, but that figure could be set to double pending an ultimatum set by U.S. regulators.

Dozens of models of vehicles and nearly 20 automakers have been affected by the air bag recalls, with Takata’s automaker customers having so far borne much of the estimated $10 billion cost of replacing the faulty products.

Some automakers still use Takata inflators for replacements in the recalls, although some including Honda Motor Co, Toyota Motor Corp and Nissan Motor Co have said they will stop using Takata inflators for new contracts for future models.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Президент США призначив нового шефа прес-служби, речник подав у відставку

Білий дім США оголосив, що президент Дональд Трамп обрав на посаду нового керівника прес-служби, після чого його чільний речник подав у відставку на знак протесту.

Як повідомили в Білому домі, новим директором у зв’язках із громадськістю призначений фінансист із Вол-Стріт Антоні Скарамуччі. Після несподіваного оголошення про це заявив про свою відставку прес-секретар президента Шон Спайсер, що працював на цій посаді з дня інавгурації 20 січня.

За повідомленнями преси, Спайсер не погоджувався з призначенням Скарамуччі через практичну відсутність у того політичного досвіду.

Як написав речник у твітері, своєю відставкою він дає Трампові можливість отримати перевагу, заповнивши виниклу порожнину. Спайсер додав, що продовжить співпрацювати з Білим домом до кінця серпня, щоб полегшити передачу повноважень.

Білий дім відтак оголосив, що новим прес-секретарем буде дотеперішня заступниця Шона Спайсера Сера Гакабі Сандерз.

Скарамуччі, виступаючи на брифінгу в Білому домі, заперечив, що відставка Спайсера є ще однією ознакою неспокою і внутрішніх протистоянь усередині адміністрації Трампа.

Антоні Скарамуччі є фінансистом на користь Республіканської партії, засновником інвестиційного фонду Skybridge Capital і затятим прихильником Дональда Трампа. До нового призначення він був чільним посадовцем Експортно-Імпортного банку США.

Посада директора Білого дому у зв’язках із громадськістю залишалася вакантною з початку червня, коли з неї подав у відставку Майкл Дабкі – за його словами, з особистих міркувань. Відтоді Шон Спайсер поєднував ці посадові обов’язки зі своєю основною посадою прес-секретаря.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Парламент Молдови закликав Росію вивести війська з Придністров’я

Парламент Молдови схвалив заяву, якою вимагає від Росії вивести війська, озброєння й інше обладнання з сепаратистського регіону Придністров’я.

Голосами 61 з загалом 101 депутата парламент схвалив заяву, яку її прихильники назвали символічною – вона ухвалена на 25-у річницю завершення короткої війни між силами Молдови, з одного боку, і Росії і Придністров’я, з іншого, після якої Кишинів остаточно втратив контроль над регіоном.

Як мовиться в заяві, присутність російських військ порушує конституційні засади незалежності, суверенітету і територіальної цілісності Молдови.

Відразу після схвалення в парламенті, більшість депутатів якого стоять на загалом проєвропейських позиціях і підтримують цілком проєвропейський уряд Молдови, проросійський президент країни Ігор Додон, що має обмежені повноваження,  засудив цю заяву.

За його словами, це «ще один провокаційний крок», що має на меті «погіршити відносини з Росією».

На початку травня Конституційний суд Молдови вже визнавав присутність російських військ у країні неконституційним: чинна Конституція Молдови проголошує її нейтралітет і не припускає постійної присутності іноземних військ на території країни.

Переважно російськомовний регіон Придністров’я, де базувалася 14-а армія Радянської армії СРСР, а потім Збройних сил Росії, нині перейменована в Оперативну групу російських військ, ще в радянські часи, 1990 року, односторонньо проголосив «незалежність» від решти Молдови. Самопроголошеної «незалежності» Придністров’я не визнав ніхто у світі, хоча регіон має істотну підтримку Росії – політичну, економічну і військову.

Після нетривалої війни 1992 року, в якій загинуло близько 1200 людей, Кишинів остаточно втратив контроль над цим регіоном країни. В тій війні на боці сепаратистів узяли участь окремі бійці й цілі підрозділи й частини російської армії зі своїм озброєнням і бойовою технікою.

Росія, всупереч своїм міжнародним зобов’язанням вивести свої війська з регіону до 2002 року і численним закликам і Кишинева, і міжнародної спільноти, відмовляється зробити це. Менша частина цих військ перебуває там під приводом «миротворчих сил», більша частина – під приводом необхідності ротації тих сил.

Росія ще 1999 року зобов’язалася на саміті ОБСЄ у Стамбулі вивести свій військовий контингент із Придністров’я до 2002 року, але так і не зробила цього, а тепер заявляє, що і не виведе, бо «міжнародна ситуація змінилася». Нині в регіоні перебуває близько 1300–1500 російських військових, із них лише близько 400 числяться учасниками з російського боку миротворчої операції, що була започаткована 1992 року відповідно до двосторонньої російсько-молдовської угоди.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

У США заявили, що ватажок «Ісламської держави», мабуть, живий

Міністр оборони США Джеймз Маттіс заявив, що вважає: ватажок екстремістського угруповання «Ісламська держава» Абу Бакр аль-Багдаді й далі живий, всупереч недавнім заявам про його знищення.

Як сказав він журналістам у Пентагоні, «я буду вважати, що це не так, коли буду знати, що ми вбили його». Він додав, що США далі розшукують цього діяча, вважаючи, що він живий.

Цю думку повторив директор Контртерористичного центру США Ніколас Расмуссен. За його словами, він не бачив ніяких даних, що змусили б його вважати, що аль-Багдаді «усунений із поля бою». За його словами, у США немає інформації, що підтверджувала б смерть чільного екстреміста.

Іще кілька тижнів тому базоване в Лондоні Бюро спостереження за правами людини в Сирії, що має інформаторів на місцях і переважно подає інформацію, що потім загалом підтверджується, заявило про загибель Абу Бакра аль-Багдаді в Сирії.

Росія, яка втрутилася у війну в Сирії, зокрема, й повітряними чи ракетними ударами по об’єктах «Ісламської держави», ще в середині червня стверджувала, що аль-Багдаді загинув саме внаслідок її удару на території Сирії.

Але представники США, Іраку, де теж діє це угруповання, і західні посадовці жодного разу не підтверджували цих заяв, а дехто з них і прямо заперечував.

Про загибель Абу-Бакра аль-Багдаді, він же «халіф Ібрагім», справжнім іменем, як вважають, Ібрагім Аввад Ібрагім аль-Бадрі родом із іракської Самарри, раніше вже стверджували багато разів, але ті повідомлення щоразу виявлялися хибними.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Rights Group Uses Satellite Imagery, Defector’s Testimony to Record North Korea Atrocities

A South Korean report using advanced technology to pinpoint scenes of North Korean atrocities marks a crucial step forward in documenting human rights abuses and setting the stage for future prosecutions.

The Transitional Justice Working Group’s preliminary report released earlier this week identifies more than 300 execution sites and 47 burial grounds in North Korea.

Using Google Earth satellite imagery and testimony from 375 North Korean defectors, the Seoul-based human rights group focused on documenting the North’s atrocities as “a crucial first step in pursuit of accountability for human rights crimes” committed in the country for decades under the Kim family regime, which was established in 1948. The group says it decided to not disclose the exact locations of sensitive sites lest the North Korean regime tamper with evidence.

“Sites of mass killings and mass burials tend to leave traces and … evidence that is scientific and tangible,” said Lee Younghwan, who heads the Transitional Justice Working Group. “Through this report, I hope people who are committing atrocities realize that all of their actions are being monitored and recorded in detail and that someday they will face consequences for their misdemeanor.”

Report draws praise

Greg Scarlatoiu, executive director of the Committee for Human Rights in North Korea, hailed the group’s efforts in documenting the sites and collecting evidence.

“For a very long time, we’ve been aware of the brutality taking place, in particular, at detention facilities in North Korea, political prison camps, labor camps and other facilities. So this surely comes as no surprise,” Scarlatoiu told VOA’s Korean Service. “But being able to thoroughly research and document these violations, it’s an entirely different story.”

In 2014, the U.N. Commission of Inquiry (COI) issued a report documenting North Korea’s systematic human rights abuses committed against its population. The COI found extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances, arbitrary arrests, beatings, forced starvation, sexual assault, forced labor and torture to be pervasive. Many of them, the report noted, are committed in the North’s political prison camps, where an estimated 80,000 to 120,000 men, women and children are incarcerated.

Some facilities have been shut down

When documenting the sites, Scarlatoiu suggested it is important to continue monitoring developments under the Kim Jong Un regime, saying “the North Korean political prison camps system has been in flux since it was established in 1950s.”

For example, facilities close to the border with China have been shut down, detention facilities inland have been expanded and other new detention facilities have appeared, Scarlatoiu said.

“We have to continue to focus on collecting evidence both through direct contact with witnesses — with former prisoners and those who used to run camps and have defected — and through the use of technology — satellite imagery in particular,” Scarlatoiu said. “This is a very powerful combination and I firmly believe that it is technological developments that will ultimately shatter the firewall surrounding the North Korean regime.”