Daily Archives

20 Articles

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Cardiologist: Floyd Did Not Die from Heart Attack or Drug Overdose

A cardiologist testified Monday that George Floyd, a Black man who died in police custody in Minneapolis last year, did not die of a heart attack or a drug overdose and would have survived had he not been pinned to a city street as police officer Derek Chauvin pressed his knee to his neck for more than nine minutes. Dr. Jonathan Rich, a medical school professor at Northwestern University, told the jury at Chauvin’s murder trial in Minneapolis that had Floyd “not been restrained in the way in which he was, I think he would have survived that day.” “I think he would have gone home or wherever he was going to go had he not been subjected to the prone and positional restraint that he was,” Rich said. Eric Nelson, Chauvin’s defense lawyer, has contended that the 46-year-old Floyd died from drug use and underlying health issues, not the manner in which Chauvin arrested him last May 25 on suspicion of passing a counterfeit $20 bill. Chauvin, 45 and white, has pleaded not guilty to murder and manslaughter charges in the Floyd case, which triggered widespread street protests against police abuse of minorities across the U.S. and in major foreign cities. Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin attends the eleventh day of his trial, with his defense attorney Eric Nelson, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, April 12, 2021, in a still image from video.Testifying for the prosecution, Rich contested the defense’s conclusions about why Floyd died. “After reviewing all of the facts and evidence of the case, I can state with a high degree of medical certainty that George Floyd did not die from a primary cardiac event, and he did not die from a drug overdose,” Rich testified. The cardiologist said there was no evidence to suggest an overdose caused Floyd’s death, even though a toxicology report showed the presence of the opiate fentanyl in his blood. “Number 1, it appeared to me that Mr. Floyd, who was an acknowledged frequent chronic user of substances, particularly opiates, likely developed a high degree of tolerance,” he said. “But the second and just as important, maybe more important, was I didn’t see any of the signs of an opiate overdose when I reviewed the videos,” Rich said. Rich told the jury that police officers — Chauvin and three others on the scene — had the opportunity to take actions Rich believed “very likely” would have saved Floyd’s life, even after he lost consciousness as he was held down by Chauvin’s knee. “There was one moment in the video where I heard one of the officers saying, ‘I think he’s passing out,'” Rich testified. “That would have been an opportunity to quickly relieve him from that position of not getting enough oxygen, perhaps turn him into a recovery position and allow him to start to expand his lungs again. When there were signs he was worsening, repositioning him, I think, very likely would have also saved his life.”  Rich, who specializes in heart transplant surgery, said Floyd’s heart was slightly enlarged but that he had no preexisting heart issue, and so a heart attack was ruled out. “Every indicator is that Mr. Floyd had an exceptionally strong heart,” Rich testified. Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill speaks with legal teams in Minneapolis, Minnesota, April 12, 2021, in a still image from video.Earlier Monday, Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill rejected Nelson’s request to sequester the 12 jurors and two alternates after police in a neighboring city fatally shot a Black man during a traffic stop. In denying the defense’s request, the judge said sequestering the jury “would only aggravate” any worries jurors had. But Cahill said he intends to sequester the jury once it begins deliberations, likely in a week or so. 
 

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Країни G7 закликали Росію припинити провокації біля кордонів України

Країни «Групи семи» заявили, що висловлюють підтримку стриманій позиції України в умовах переміщення військових Росії

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

ФСБ у Криму незаконно взяла у Владислава Єсипенка біологічні зразки для експертизи – адвокат

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Україна закликає міжнародну спільноту приділити більшу увагу провокаціям керівництва РФ – Таран

Міністр оборони України відзначив «принципову, щиру та всебічну підтримку України у протистоянні російській агресії» з боку Канади

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

USAGM Pick to Lead Cuba Broadcasting Draws Criticism from Senator

The appointment of an award-winning journalist to lead the Office of Cuba Broadcasting was criticized this week by a U.S. lawmaker who suggested she does not have a strong enough track record of promoting liberty for Cuban citizens. The U.S. Agency for Global Media, which oversees the OCB and other independent networks including Voice of America, announced Wednesday that veteran media and communications executive Sylvia Rosabal will be the director of the Office of Cuba Broadcasting.  Rosabal is the latest network head to be hired by Kelu Chao, a former VOA executive who took over as acting chief executive when former CEO and Trump nominee Michael Pack resigned hours after President Joe Biden took office.  Chao was a whistleblower named in a court case brought against Pack and his aides that claimed editorial interference at the news network.   Rosabal, a former senior vice president of the news division at Telemundo Network, has won numerous awards during her 30-year career at Spanish-language networks in the U.S., including an Edward R. Murrow award for journalistic excellence. She also worked on media logistics for the 2020 Democratic National Convention Committee. The longtime South Florida resident was born in Puerto Rico to Cuban parents.  Rosabal will fill the director position at the Office for Cuba Broadcasting that has been vacant since Jeffrey Scott Shapiro resigned in late January, shortly before Chao fired the other USAGM network heads who were installed by Pack in his last weeks as CEO. Pack’s leadership drew bipartisan criticism from members of Congress, including Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair Bob Menendez and others who said his moves undermined the agency’s editorial independence.   FILE – Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., the ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, talks to reporters on Capitol Hill in Washington, June 12, 2018.In a statement Wednesday, Menendez, a Democrat from New Jersey, said he did not believe Rosabal “is the right person to lead the OCB.” Menendez said the office should be led by someone “with a track record of staunchly promoting liberty for all Cuban citizens.” The USAGM’s Office of Cuba Broadcasting is headquartered in Miami, Florida, where it oversees Radio and Television Marti, martinoticias.com, and its social media platforms.   Radio and Television Marti provides unbiased news and information via satellite television and radio to people in Cuba, who have limited access to independent news.  This week a bipartisan group of Florida lawmakers wrote to the Biden administration asking it to increase the Office of Cuba Broadcasting’s budget to $30 million next year. OCB’s budget in 2020 was $12.9 million.   Cuba ranks 171st out of 180 countries, where 1 is the most free, in the World Press Freedom Index compiled by media watchdog Reporters Without Borders. Menendez, whose Cuban parents immigrated to the United States before he was born, said he respected Rosabal’s journalistic credentials but that he planned to seek information on how the new director plans to promote “the principles of a free press and of free speech in Cuba.”    “I am concerned that she is of the view of accommodation with the Cuban regime rather than of challenging its human rights violations and denial of democratic freedoms to its people,” Menendez said.  USAGM has not responded to VOA’s questions about Menendez’s criticisms. Rosabal is the final network director to be named by Chao during a 90-day window Congress included in the December COVID-19 relief bill that gave the head of USAGM power to make hiring and firing decisions.  New provisions included in the National Defense Authorization Act will now come into effect that contain more restrictions on the appointments of network heads.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

WHO Reports COVID-19 Cases Rose Globally for 7th Straight Week

The World Health Organization (WHO) said Monday the world has now seen seven consecutive weeks of rising COVID-19 infections and four consecutive weeks of increasing numbers of deaths after starting the year with six weeks of declining numbers.
 
At the agency’s Monday briefing from its headquarters in Geneva, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the fourth-highest number of cases in a single week since the pandemic began occurred last week. This, after the world has delivered more than 780 million doses of vaccine.
 
The WHO chief blamed “confusion, complacency and inconsistency in public health measures and their application” for driving up infections and costing lives. He said while vaccines are a vital and powerful tool in fighting the pandemic, they are not the only tool.  
 
Tedros said the standard measures — social distancing, hygiene, masks and continued testing and tracking — work and save lives. He noted that many countries have shown it is possible to bring the virus under control using and consistently applying these proven public health measures.
 
He noted countries where there is continuing transmission of the virus, and yet restaurants, nightclubs and markets are reopening, with people taking few precautions.  
 
The director said WHO does not want to see endless lockdowns and wants to see societies and economies reopened and travel resumed.
 
 “But right now, intensive care units in many countries are overflowing, and people are dying — and it’s totally avoidable,” he said.
 
Tedros said the decline in cases and hospitalizations the world saw at the beginning of the year show the virus can be stopped.   
 
With equitably distributed vaccines and consistent public health measures, he said, “we could bring the pandemic under control in a matter of months. Whether we do or not comes down to the decisions and the actions that governments and individuals make every day.”

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Britons Switch Off Coverage of Royal Death

Britons switched off their televisions Friday in record numbers, apparently frustrated with the blanket coverage of the death of Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth and the longest serving royal consort in British history. The BBC, the country’s taxpayer-funded public broadcaster, was flooded with so many complaints that it set up a dedicated complaints form on its website, where viewers recorded their irritation with the postponement of their favorite shows, including the soap drama “EastEnders,” “Gardeners’ World,” and the final episode of a popular TV cooking competition.“There’s only so much of the BBC being unctuous about royalty that a chap can bear,” best-selling historian Tom Holland tweeted. The noted author of books on ancient Roman and Greek history was not alone in his irritation of pre-recorded tributes to Philip and documentaries on the royal family.  Former BBC presenter Simon McCoy queried the scale of the coverage, tweeting, “I know this is a huge event. But surely the public deserves a choice of programming.”Former government minister Chris Mullin called the “North Korea-style” coverage a “big mistake.”  The BBC said its decision to simulcast across multiple channels for 24 hours was taken to mark Philip’s “life of extraordinary public service.” The prince, a former naval officer who served with distinction in World War II, is widely credited with having helped to modernize and guide the royal household. Sorry, but your browser cannot support embedded video of this type, you can
download this video to view it offline.Download File360p | 11 MB480p | 15 MB540p | 21 MB720p | 42 MB1080p | 86 MBOriginal | 94 MB Embed” />Copy Download AudioBut the British public switched off — particularly notable as the country last week was gripped by poor weather and largely under a pandemic lockdown. Audience figures have shocked television executives, with all broadcasters, in addition to the BBC, recording plummeting ratings.  BBC Two saw a 64% drop in its audience compared to the previous Friday. BBC One’s viewership fell by 6% from the previous week, and ITV, the main commercial terrestrial competitor, suffered a 60% drop in its normal audience for a Friday. Commentators noted that 40 years ago, the televised wedding of Prince Charles and then-Lady Diana Spencer attracted 30 million British viewers, while a much-vaunted BBC documentary last Friday on Philip’s life, presented by popular journalist Andrew Marr, managed to attract just 2 million viewers.  UK Broadcaster Defends Plan to Air Princess Diana Recordings

        A British television channel on Monday defended its decision to broadcast recordings of Princess Diana candidly discussing her personal life, after some royal watchers called it a betrayal of the late princess' privacy.

Channel 4 said the video tapes, made in the early 1990s, are an “important historical source” and place Diana “front and center” in her own story as Britain marks 20 years since her death.
 
The channel said that although the recordings were made in private, “the subjects covered are…
At midday Friday, as Buckingham Palace released the news that Philip had died peacefully in his sleep at Windsor Castle, BBC television networks halted programming and faded the screens to black with the caption, “News Report,” before announcing the prince’s death. Moments before, the royal household followed tradition and posted the news outside the gates of Buckingham Palace, where hundreds quickly began laying floral tributes to the prince. Philip had a preexisting heart condition and had undergone heart surgery at a London hospital a few weeks ago. Opinion is divided on why there was a great television switch-off. Some observers suggest it is a sign of decreasing public affection for the royal family, which has been buffeted by scandals in recent years. Others suggest a generational divide, with older Britons identifying with a prince who came of age after World War I and saw military service in World War II. Some commentators and politicians blamed the excess media coverage. Others say the reporting was cloying, a claim rejected by former Conservative government minister Alastair Burt, who said he thought the BBC, in particular, had managed to get the pitch of its coverage perfect.  “The BBC has caught the mood well, and its public has responded,” Burt wrote Monday for the online magazine The Article.  He praised the BBC for collecting from ordinary Britons stories and anecdotes about Philip, who died two months short of his 100th birthday. World Leaders Offer Tributes to Britain’s Prince PhilipCharismatic consort to Queen Elizabeth left a deep impression on many of those he met “The response from so many members of the public has also left me somewhat awed,” Burt said. “Occasionally, those who have had the privilege to represent the British people — in my case for 33 years — can still be surprised by them. The anecdotes and memories of chance encounters with Prince Philip have been, by turns, humorous, poignant and sometimes damn moving,” he said. It created “a touching mosaic of today’s United Kingdom,” he added.Nonetheless, the plummeting audiences suggest that many Britons found the “mosaic” less than compelling. One social media user noted, “Wall to wall coverage on every single channel is annoying and unnecessary. There is other important news. And some people might appreciate some other TV. I’d bet Prince Philip would not have approved of such a fuss!” Prince Charles Pays Tribute to ‘My Dear Papa,’ Prince Philip, for Devoted Service Says the 99-year-old would have been amazed at touching reaction around the world to his deathPhilip was noted as a stoical and rather irascible character who preferred a no-nonsense approach to most things. A hatred of fuss, according to royal commentators, prompted him to reject the idea of marking his departure with a grand state funeral — a rite of passage he is due. In keeping with his wishes, he will have a simple royal ceremonial funeral on Saturday, which will be reduced in ceremony and attendees because of coronavirus restrictions.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

До Великодніх свят ціни на продукти залишатимуться стабільними – Мінекономіки

Великдень у християн східного обряду цьогоріч припадає на 2 травня