Daily Archives

23 Articles

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

No Coronavirus Vaccine Before US Election

President Donald Trump’s predictions that a coronavirus vaccine would be ready before Election Day, Nov. 3, will not be met. On Friday, pharmaceutical giant Pfizer announced it would not seek emergency authorization to release its coronavirus vaccine until late November.  Two other vaccine frontrunners are on hold. A fourth is unlikely to have results until the end of the year. Trump has said repeatedly that a vaccine would be available to many before the election as part of the administration’s highly touted Operation Warp Speed, created to accelerate the development of a vaccine. Top scientists in and out of government have long said that timeline is unrealistic. Trump Contradicts CDC Director on Vaccine and MasksSeeking to draw a contrast with President Donald Trump’s approach to combating the pandemic, Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden laid out plans for developing and distributing a vaccine if he wins in the November election Conceding the point earlier this month, Trump blamed politics, without explanation. “I think we should have it before the election,” Trump said in a video on Twitter shortly after his release from the hospital following COVID-19 treatment. “But frankly, the politics gets involved, and that’s OK, they wanna play their games. It’s gonna be right after the election.” A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT! pic.twitter.com/uhLIcknAjT
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 7, 2020Safety first In a statement Friday, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said that the company may know by the end of October whether its vaccine works. But it will not reach its safety milestone until late November.  “Safety is, and will remain, our number one priority,” Bourla wrote. Pfizer’s vaccine is one of several taking a novel approach to immunization. Rather than injecting patients with a dead or weakened virus or a piece of the germ, the vaccine contains genetic instructions for a part of the coronavirus. The patient’s body takes up the instructions, known as mRNA, and produces the virus fragment. The immune system responds to the fragment, priming the body to fight off the real virus. Pfizer is collaborating with German biotech firm BioNTech, which came up with the genetic instructions being tested in the vaccine. Nearly 40,000 patients are taking part in the clinical trial so far.Before the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will consider an emergency use authorization, the company needs to monitor at least half the patients for two months after their last dose to watch for side effects. “We estimate we will reach this milestone in the third week of November,” Bourla wrote.Another vaccine frontrunner that uses mRNA technology, from biotech company Moderna, also expects results in late November.On hold Meanwhile, two other vaccine trials have paused because of potential safety problems.AstraZeneca said it put its trial on hold temporarily after at least one participant came down with an “unexplained illness.” Media reports have described the illness as transverse myelitis, a form of spinal inflammation that can cause pain, weakness and paralysis in the limbs, as well as bladder and bowel problems. But the company has not confirmed the diagnosis.Pauses to check possible safety issues are not uncommon in vaccine trials, experts say, and there are several factors besides the vaccine that may have caused the current illness. The trial has resumed in the United Kingdom, Brazil, India and South Africa. It remains on hold in the United States, however.Another vaccine using a similar approach, from pharmaceutical company Johnson & Johnson, also has hit a safety snag, though its problems, too, may be unrelated to the vaccine.The company reported an “unexplained illness” in one of its trial participants last week.”We’re also learning more about this participant’s illness, and it’s important to have all the facts before we share additional information,” the company said in a statement. Having received billions of dollars of government money, drug companies are taking the unprecedented step of scaling up vaccine manufacturing before results are in.There won’t be enough for everyone right away, however. Government agencies are drawing up plans for who should get vaccinated first. Health care workers, first responders and more vulnerable populations including the elderly are likely to be first in line. It may be the middle of next year before most Americans are vaccinated, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention chief Robert Redfield told Congress last month.  

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

У Офісі президента прокоментували рішення суду щодо книжки про Стуса

У Офісі президента України прокоментували рішення Дарницького районного суду Києва щодо книги «Справа Василя Стуса».

«Взяли до відома рішення Дарницького районного суду міста Києва щодо книги «Справа Василя Стуса». Також взяли до відома заяви автора книги Вахтанга Кіпіані та представників видавництва про намір подати апеляцію. Це щонайменше свідчення того, що суспільство готове відстоювати свої права. Безумовно, здивовані деякими формулюваннями у вказаному рішенні. Хоча не ставимо під сумнів незалежність судової гілки влади», – мовиться у оприлюдненому ОП повідомленні.

Зокрема в Офісі президента вважають «дивним» визначення у рішенні суду позивача Віктора Медведчука як «персонажа твору».

«Більшу частину змісту книги становить точний передрук матеріалів кримінальної справи. Тобто суто документальна основа книжки не викликає найменших сумнівів. Отже, саме за цією логікою книги, Медведчук В. В. є учасником справжнього процесу, який мав місце в історії, а не просто «персонажем твору». Поведінка учасника проаналізована виключно на підставі документально зафіксованих фактів, які не є продуктом літературної творчості авторів і літературною вигадкою», – зазначили в ОП.

В офісі глави держави наголосили, що «цензура в Україні прямо та недвозначно заборонена Конституцією. У будь-яких проявах».

«Виходимо з того, що наукові дослідження історії, опрацювання матеріалів історії нашого народу, зокрема за допомогою інструментів публіцистики, не можуть обмежуватися через емоції окремих учасників подій минулого. Незалежно від сьогоднішнього статусу та політичної позиції цих учасників», – мовиться у повідомленні.

 

Дарницький районний суд 19 жовтня ухвалив рішення, яким частково задовольнив позов народного депутата від «Опозиційної платформи – За життя» Віктора Медведчука проти журналіста й історика Вахтанга Кіпіані та видавництва Vivat про заборону видання і поширення книги «Справа Василя Стуса».

Зокрема, суд вирішив визнати «недостовірною і такою, що порушує особисті немайнові права Віктора Медведчука на повагу до честі й гідності, недоторканності й ділової репутації» інформацію, поширену в кількох розділах книжки «Справа Василя Стуса».

Крім того, суд заборонив Кіпіані і видавництву Vivat використовувати і поширювати в ЗМІ інформацію, яка міститься в згаданих двох розділах і «надає можливість ідентифікувати Віктора Медведчука як персонажа, дійової особи без його згоди».

Рішення набере законної сили після закінчення строку на подання апеляційної справи. Протягом 30 днів ухвалу можна оскаржити в Київському апеляційному суді.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

У російському сегменті МКС зламався туалет

У російському сегменті Міжнародної космічної станції вийшов з ладу туалет. Про це повідомив під час переговорів з ЦУПом російський космонавт Анатолій Іванишин. Трансляцію переговорів вело НАСА, повідомляє агентство «Интерфакс».

Представник російського ЦУП охарактеризував ситуацію з «асенізаційно-санітарним пристроєм» як «дуже погану». Екіпаж станції намагається усунути проблему.

Загалом на станції працює два туалети: другий – в американському сегменті МКС. Російські космонавти користувалися ним, коли їхній туалет зламався минулого разу – 10 жовтня.

Наприкінці минулого місяця на МКС стався витік повітря в російському модулі, там, де розташована робоча апаратура.

Раніше повідомлялося про витік в американському секторі Міжнародної космічної станції. Тоді через витік теж зріс тиск, але у NASA запевняли про відсутність загрози для екіпажу.

Нові члени екіпажу МКС прибули на станцію 14 жовтня.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

US Official in Syria for Talks on Missing Americans, Reports Say

A top U.S. official recently visited Syria for rare, secret high-level talks on securing the return of two Americans missing in the war-torn country for years, the daughter of one of them said Monday.  The visit of Kash Patel, deputy assistant to President Donald Trump and the top White House counterterrorism official, was first reported by The Wall Street Journal on Sunday.  There was no immediate U.S. comment on the reports.  There has not been a confirmed visit by a high-level American official to Damascus since the U.S. shuttered its embassy in the capital and withdrew its ambassador in 2012 as the country’s civil war worsened.  However, numerous U.S. officials, both military and civilian, have traveled to rebel-held parts of the country in the years since. The visit would be seen as a boost by the internationally isolated government of President Bashar al-Assad, which faces U.S. and European sanctions for its role in the nine-year war. In recent months, as the war has subsided, a number of Arab countries that had boycotted Assad have begun reopening their embassies in Damascus.  Majd Kamalmaz, a 62-year-old clinical psychologist from Virginia, disappeared in 2017 and is believed to be held in a Syrian government prison.  FILE – Debra Tice, mother of US journalist Austin Tice who was kidnapped in Syria five years prior, holds a dated portrait of him during a news conference in the Lebanese capital Beirut on July 20, 2017.Freelance journalist Austin Tice, 39, has been missing for much longer. Tice, a native of Houston, Texas, vanished Aug. 14, 2012, after he got into a car in the Damascus suburb of Daraya to make a trip to Lebanon and was detained at a checkpoint.  Kamalmaz’s daughter, Maryam, said the family learned of Patel’s visit last week. “Praying for the best from it,” she said, speaking to The Associated Press in a series of messages. She said they believe the trip was within the past two weeks, but she had no further details.  A pro-Syrian government newspaper, Al-Watan, on Monday confirmed the Journal’s report, adding that Patel and Roger Carstens, special presidential envoy for hostage affairs, were in Damascus in August, where they met with the Syrian intelligence chief to discuss the Americans.  The paper, which usually conveys government positions, said Syrian officials have demanded a U.S. troop withdrawal from eastern Syria, where they have been deployed alongside Kurdish fighters. Damascus considers the U.S. troop presence there illegal and is at odds with the Kurdish group seeking autonomy. The paper also said it was the third such secret visit by senior U.S. officials in past years. Trump has made negotiating the release of U.S. citizens held hostage or imprisoned in foreign countries a priority.  A top Lebanese intelligence official has been in Washington since last week. Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim has negotiated the release of a U.S. citizen from Syria and a Lebanese who is also a permanent U.S. resident from Iran. Former national security adviser John Bolton wrote in his recent book that negotiations on the U.S. role in Syria were “complicated by Trump’s constant desire to call Assad on U.S. hostages.” He said he and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo thought it was “undesirable.” “Fortunately, Syria saved Trump from himself, refusing even to talk to Pompeo about them,” Bolton wrote. Tens of thousands of people are believed held in Syrian prisons since the country’s civil war broke out in 2011. Many are held incognito for years in lock-ups rife with torture and disease. In the country’s war, militant groups have also resorted to kidnapping foreigners for ransom or rivals to settle scores.   

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Зеленський попередив, за яких умов в Україні можуть запровадити жорсткий карантин

Президент України Володимир Зеленський заявив, що якщо в Україні виявлятимуть понад 9,5 тисяч випадків захворювання на коронавірус за добу, влада буде змушена запровадити жорсткий карантин, але це позначиться на економіці. Про це глава держави сказав під час зустрічі з представниками Всеукраїнської ради церков і релігійних організацій, повідомили у Офісі президента.

За словами Зеленського, на сьогодні у низці регіонів країни завантаженість ліжок у лікарнях становить 70 відсотків, а в деяких населених пунктах – 100 відсотків. Він додав, що влада не може «щотижня збільшувати кількість ліжок та переводити медзаклади лише на лікування хворих з COVID-19».

«Критичною для медичної системи України ситуація стане, коли буде від 9,5 тисяч щоденних заражень коронавірусом. Якщо матимемо більше 9,5 тисяч інфікованих щодоби, ми будемо змушені запроваджувати жорсткий карантин. Але тоді зупиниться економіка нашої країни й буде дуже складно всім», – наголосив Зеленський.

від початку пандемії в Україні підтвердили понад 303,6 тисячі випадків захворювання на COVID-19, померли 5673 людей, одужали понад 126 тисяч.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Wales to Impose Two-Week Coronavirus Lockdown Beginning Friday 

Officials in Wales announced Monday they will impose a two-week “firebreak” lockdown effective Friday, requiring all but essential workers to stay at home to combat an accelerating second wave of the COVID-19 outbreak. Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford announced the move at a news conference, saying the lockdown will be in effect from Friday to November 9. During that time, everyone in Wales will be required to stay at home, except for the most critical workers. He said that that means people will be working from home wherever possible. Referring to the lockdown as a “firebreak,” Drakeford said it “is the shortest we can make it but that means that it will have to be sharp and deep in order to have the impact we need it to have on the virus.”   Drakeford said that while he understood that people were tired of COVID-19 restrictions, the imposition of rules was essential as critical care units were already full.  All non-essential retail, leisure, hospitality and tourist businesses will have to close in Wales. Places of worship will also close for regular service. Last week, Britain’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE)recommended a similar break for all of Britain, but Prime Minister Boris Johnson rejected it in favor of his regional three-tiered “alert” system approach.  Britain recorded 16,982 new daily cases of COVID-19 in the space of 24 hours, according to government data issued on Sunday, up from 16,717 the previous day. Wales recorded 950 cases, up from just 400 per day at the start of the month.    

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

US Lawmakers Struggle to Deliver COVID-19 Relief Ahead of Election Day

U.S. lawmakers are running out of time to pass a second massive round of aid addressing the economic and health crises caused by the coronavirus.  House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will speak with Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin Monday ahead of a self-imposed 48-hour deadline to reach a deal before Election Day on Nov. 3. If the White House and Democratic-majority House of Representatives cannot reach an agreement by Tuesday, the next opportunity for negotiations on aid will come during a lame-duck session of Congress in November and December. Pelosi Signals Pre-election Coronavirus Relief DeadlineHouse speaker says a deal must be reached by Tuesday or it won’t get done before Nov. 3 electionIn a letter to House members Sunday, Pelosi expressed optimism about the chances of reaching a deal. But she also told ABC’s “This Week Sunday” news program that the Trump administration had removed key language from the legislation that laid out testing and tracing strategies. “So, on this subject where we have agreement, we don’t have agreement in the language yet. But I’m hopeful,” Pelosi said.  U.S. lawmakers have repeatedly failed to reach an agreement on a second round of economic aid to millions of Americans impacted by the pandemic. In September, Senate Republicans failed to pass a slimmed-down $500 billion aid proposal. The House passed the $2.2 trillion Heroes Act in June and has so far rebuffed the administration’s offer of $1.8 trillion for a new round of aid. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced the Senate will vote on another $500 billion proposal Wednesday. That bill would provide funding for a new round of unemployment benefits and the popular Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). U.S. President Donald Trump announced an end to negotiations on a new round of aid earlier this month before reversing course and tweeting, “Go big or go home!” His expression of support for a larger topline number closer to House Democrats’ asks for close to $2 trillion and has caused discomfort among many Senate Republicans. The $2 trillion CARES Act, passed by bipartisan agreement in March, was one of the largest aid packages in U.S. history, providing $600 in weekly enhanced unemployment benefits for millions of out of work Americans.   The weekly benefits expired on July 31.The U.S. economy is showing some signs of recovery from the lockdowns instituted earlier this year to contain the spread of the virus. More than 11.4 million jobs have been recovered, and there are signs of increased hiring in hard-hit industries such as tourism. New unemployment claims jumped last week to more than 890,000, the highest level since mid-August, although continuing unemployment claims dropped to 10 million.  The U.S. leads the world with 219,000 COVID-19 deaths, as well as infections, with more than 8 million cases total, according to Johns Hopkins University.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

В Умані невідомий напав з ножем на 17-річного хасида

В Умані Черкаської області поліція розслідує напад з ножем на 17-річного громадянина Ізраїлю. Як повідомили правоохоронці, інцидент стався 18 жовтня на вулиці Софії Перовської.

«До Уманського відділу поліції, 18 жовтня, звернувся громадянин Ізраїлю, 2003 року народження, та повідомив що йому на вулиці Софії Перовської невідома особа нанесла тілесні ушкодження. На місце події було негайно здійснено виїзд слідчо-оперативної групи. Слідчо-оперативною групою оглянуто місце злочину, та проведено обхід прилеглих вулиць з метою встановлення камер відео нагляду які могли зафіксувати момент злочину», – мовиться у повідомленні.

 

Поліція відкрила кримінальне провадження за частиною 4 статті 296 (хуліганство) Кримінального кодексу України. Санкція статті передбачає покарання у вигляді позбавлення волі на строк від трьох до семи років.

У поліції зазначили, що наразі проводяться слідчі та оперативно розшукові дії з метою встановлення осіб причетних до скоєння злочину.

Представник хасидської громади Умані Хаїм Хазін повідомив у фейсбуці, що нападників було троє. Він додав, що злочинці порізали потерпілому обличчя ножем.

 

В Умані розташована могила в Умані цадика (праведника) Нахмана, засновника так званої брацлавської течії хасидизму, – одна з найшанованіших святинь і місце паломництва для представників цієї течі