Daily Archives

25 Articles

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Pentagon Silent on Trump Tweet Calling for Full Afghan Exit by December 25

The Pentagon offered no additional details on Afghanistan Thursday, a day after President Donald Trump tweeted that all U.S. forces in the South Asian nation should return home before the end of the year.“We should have the small remaining number of our BRAVE Men and Women serving in Afghanistan home by Christmas!” Trump tweeted shortly before the vice -presidential debate Wednesday night.We should have the small remaining number of our BRAVE Men and Women serving in Afghanistan home by Christmas!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien speaks during a news conference on Sept. 21, 2020, at the U.S. State Department in Washington, as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper, right, listen.The president’s tweet drastically accelerates plans released by his national security adviser, Robert O’Brien, who said hours earlier the United States intended to reduce its troop levels in Afghanistan from 5,000 to 2,500 by early 2021.Secretary of State Mike Pompeo expressed a similar timeline to O’Brien in mid-September, saying the military was on pace for a full pullout by spring 2021.The U.S. and the Taliban reached an agreement in February for the U.S. to remove all of its forces from Afghanistan by mid-2021 in return for assurances by the Taliban not to allow terrorist groups to use Afghan soil for international attacks.The U.S. military is currently at around 5,000 forces in Afghanistan, as part of a planned withdrawal from 8,600 troops to 4,500 by November.“At 4,500 we’re still going to be able to accomplish the core task that we want to accomplish,” CENTCOM Commander General Kenneth “Frank” McKenzie told VOA and two other outlets in an interview last month, referring to the need to continue supporting Afghan government allies currently negotiating with the Taliban, along with conducting counterterrorism operations to ensure that “entities such as al-Qaida and ISIS can’t be guests there to attack the United States.”Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie, the top U.S. commander for the Middle East, meets with troops at Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia, Jan. 29, 2019.McKenzie also has stressed in multiple interviews with VOA that the U.S. needed to be confident the Taliban would not host Islamic State and al-Qaida terrorist groups before U.S. President Donald Trump and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg participate in a round table meeting during a NATO leaders meeting, Dec. 4, 2019.When asked about Trump’s tweet, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told reporters Thursday that the international effort in Afghanistan was a “conditions-based approach.”“We will make decisions based on the conditions on the ground, because we think it is extremely important to continue to be committed to the future of Afghanistan, because it is in our interest to preserve the long-term security of Afghanistan,” said Stoltenberg.
“We decided to go into Afghanistan together; we will make decisions on future adjustments together, and when the time is right, we will leave together,” the NATO chief added.While top U.S. military officials have remained quiet about what Trump’s tweet means, the Taliban said it considered the tweet “a positive step.”A recent Eurasia Group Foundation survey found that most Americans from both U.S. political parties support the intra-Afghan peace talks backed by the Trump administration.The nation’s longest war began in 2001 when U.S. forces invaded Afghanistan in response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Experts Weigh Impact of US Immigration Ban on Chinese Communists

The United States has imposed a broad immigration ban on members of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), blocking them from becoming U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents. Experts said the move further raised tensions between the two countries but might not have as severe an impact as previous measures.U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a FILE – A security guard looks out of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services offices in New York, Aug. 15, 2012.USCIS said the policy amendment was “part of a broader set of laws passed by Congress to address threats to the safety and security of the United States.”Bernard Wolfsdorf, a veteran immigration lawyer at the California-based Wolfsdorf Rosenthal law firm and former chairman of American Immigration Lawyers Association, told VOA the policy alert was based on provisions added in the 1950s to the Immigration and Nationality Act, when communism was perceived as a very direct threat to the United States.Strict enforcementZhou Dongfa, an immigration lawyer in Minnesota, told VOA that the new guidelines did not reflect a change in U.S. immigration laws, but required immigration officers to strictly enforce the law when handling applications concerning CCP membership.“You look at the law itself — it hasn’t changed. If you are a Communist Party member, you have to declare it on Form 485, which is the application for green card status in the U.S.,” he told VOA. “This policy alert provides a step-by-step overview of the inadmissibility determination.”Wolfsdorf told VOA that in the past, unless the individual held a relatively high post in the Communist Party or a sensitive post in the military, most of these cases did not result in inadmissibility findings.Yet he said that he was seeing some changes already.“More recently, we are hearing anecdotal reports of an increased number of denials based on membership of the CCP,” Wolfsdorf told VOA.FILE – A man walks past a section featuring a Chinese Communist Party flag next to the party loyalty oath at an exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art and Planning Exhibition in Shenzhen, China, Dec. 4, 2018.He said it was too early to predict the results of the new enforcement measures because the policy alert just came out last week.’Not a threat’USCIS guidance includes an exemption for involuntary membership, such as for people who become members under age 16 or those who join the party to obtain employment, food rations or other living necessities.An exception also extends to people who terminated their membership or affiliation at least five years before their immigration application date.In both cases, the consular officer must deem the applicant “not a threat” to U.S. security.”To an experienced officer, they know who is likely to be a Communist Party member, and they are capable of doing an adequate inquiry to see whether their membership is meaningful,” said Wolfsdorf.According to the party’s official website, the Chinese Communist Party, founded in 1921, had nearly 92 million members at the end of 2019, making it the world’s second-largest political party behind India’s Bharatiya Janata Party. It added 1.3 million members last year alone.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Зеленський завершив візит до Великої Британії

Президент України Володимир Зеленський завершив офіційний візит до Великої Британії, інформує 8 жовтня сайт глави держави.

«Підтверджений особливий характер дружніх та абсолютно щирих відносин між нашими державами. Уперше глава української держави був прийнятий членами британської королівської родини. Була підписана історична угода про політичне співробітництво, вільну торгівлю та стратегічне партнерство між Україною та Великою Британією», – так повідомляє президентська пресслужба про головні підсумки візиту до Лондона.

Угода дозволяє продовжити і поглибити відносини України та Великої Британії за умов, коли Сполучене королівство завершує процедуру виходу з Євросоюзу.

«Українській стороні вдалося досягнути домовленостей, які передбачають лібералізацію умов торгівлі товарами й послугами на рівні, не нижчому, ніж передбачено в угоді про асоціацію між Україною та Євросоюзом», – вказано в повідомленні.

«Ми отримали цілковиту підтримку євроінтеграційних та євроатлантичних прагнень України. Велика Британія засудила агресію Росії проти України та підтримала необхідність безумовного відновлення територіальної цілісності нашої держави в межах міжнародно визнаних кордонів», – додає Офіс президента.

Також українська делегація повертається додому з кредитними гарантіями у розмірі до 2,5 мільярдів фунтів стерлінгів для британсько-українських торговельних контрактів. Як зазначив Володимир Зеленський, ці кошти можуть бути використані для реалізації інвестиційних проєктів у таких пріоритетних сферах, як безпека та оборона, сільське господарство, інфраструктура, енергетика та охорона здоров’я.

Офіційний візит глави української держави до Лондона тривав два дні, 7 і 8 жовтня.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Футбол: збірна України провела перше тренування після повернення з Парижа

Збірна України з футболу провела перше тренування після повернення зі столиці Франції, де в контрольному матчі проти чемпіонів світу зазнала найбільшої поразки у своїй історії – 1:7.

В Українській асоціації футболу підрахували, що кількість гравців, які через травми чи коронавірус не змогли частково або повністю взяти участь у жовтневому зборі, становить 14 осіб, із них інфікованих COVID-19 – шестеро.

«Завтра до табору збірної України прибудуть три гравці донецького «Шахтаря» — Віктор Коваленко, Ромеро Марлос, а також центрбек Валерій Бондар, якого тренерський штаб довикликав сьогодні. Водночас Микола Матвієнко та Жуніор Мораес, ПЛР-тести яких показали сьогодні позитивні результати, не зможуть допомогти національній команді в іграх з Німеччиною та Іспанією», – ідеться в повідомленні.

Збірна України 10 і 13 жовтня в Лізі націй прийматиме в Києві національні команди Німеччини та Іспанії.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Росія: слідчі повернули родині речі журналістки, яка вчинила самоспалення

Слідчі в російському місті Нижній Новгород повернули чоловікові загиблої Ірини Славіної особисті речі, вилучені під час обшуку у журналістки. Про це повідомив адвокат Олександр Караваєв.

За його словами, у слідчих залишився тільки мобільний телефон Славіної. Вони повернули комп’ютер, ноутбуки, флешки і блокноти. Караваєв зазначив, що як і слід було очікувати, жодного доказового значення для кримінальної справи вилучені речі не мали.

2 жовтня головний редактор видання «Коза Прес» Ірина Славіна вчинила акт самоспалення біля будівлі регіонального управління МВС, написавши незадовго до цього у фейсбуці: «У моїй смерті прошу звинувачувати Російську Федерацію».

За день до цього у Славіної відбувся обшук у кримінальній справі, порушеній проти підприємця Михайла Іоселевича. Його звинувачують у здійсненні на території Росії діяльності небажаної організації – в приміщенні, яке йому належить, за версією слідства, влаштовували лекції активісти руху «Відкрита Росія».

Під час обшуку у Славіної вилучили всі електронні пристрої, особисті речі, документи, блокноти із записами, ноутбук дочки, телефон чоловіка. «Я залишилася без засобів виробництва», – написала журналістка, зазначивши, що жодного стосунку до «Відкритої Росії» ніколи не мала.

Правозахисники і журналісти вимагають від Слідчого комітету розслідувати причини самоспалення Славіної за статтею про доведення до самогубства.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

As Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict Intensifies, Turkey Expands Role

Turkey’s backing of Azerbaijan in the conflict with Armenia over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh enclave is coming under increasing scrutiny. Despite international pressure, Turkey is rejecting calls to back an unconditional cease-fire, as Ankara steps up its support of Azerbaijan’s military goals. Dorian Jones reports from Istanbul.Producers: Berke Bas, Rod James. Videographers: Berke Bas, agencies.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Poet Louise Gluck Wins Nobel Prize in Literature

American poet Louise Glück has won this year’s Nobel Prize in literature.The Swedish Academy praised Glück’s “unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal.”Glück has published 12  poetry collections, and her previous honors include the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.The literature prize is just one of a group given out this week.  Each comes with a $1.1 million cash award.Friday brings the announcement of the Nobel Peace Prize.The prize in chemistry was awarded to two scientists for developing a method of gene editing.Three scientists won the physics prize Wednesday for their discoveries related to black holes.  Three scientists also shared the medicine prize for the discovery of the Hepatitis C virus.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

EU Contracts with Johnson & Johnson on Possible COVID-19 Vaccine

The European Union on Thursday concluded a deal with an American drugmaker to supply up to 400 million doses of its potential COVID-19 vaccine, bringing its total vaccine supply to 1.1 billion doses for the bloc’s 450 million people.To secure the vaccines, the EU made an undisclosed down payment to Johnson & Johnson, which confirmed the deal in a statement in which it reiterated plans to allocate up to 500 million additional doses to poorer countries. EU states plan to pay for those but the price and liability conditions remained confidential.This is the third COVID-19 purchasing deal the EU has closed as the world races to find and secure shots against the disease. The first two were with AstraZeneca and Sanofi.The announcement came in light of a fresh spike across Europe forcing countries to reintroduce previously relaxed COVID-19 restrictions, including the shutdown of bars, restaurants and gyms.The J&J deal follows supply contracts for 400 million doses of the potential vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca and for 300 million doses of the shot being tested by a partnership between Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline.The commission plans to ramp up its vaccine collection as it continues to pursue deals with manufacturers like Moderna , CureVac and a partnership between Pfizer and BioNTech. If confirmed, the EU’s total vaccine supply will be nearly 2 billion doses.A senior EU source told Reuters news agency last month that the EU is in talks with Novavax for a seventh vaccine. If it strikes seven deals, the EU would be ahead of Britain and the United States, which each have concluded six supply contracts so far.The J&J vaccine, which is being developed by its subsidiary, Janssen, is based on vector technology, the same used by AstraZeneca. Sanofi’s is a protein-based jab.