Daily Archives

23 Articles

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

PG&E Shuts Power to 11,000 Customers to Prevent Wildfires

The nation’s largest electric utility has temporarily shut off power to thousands of northern California residents to prevent wildfires sparked by electrical equipment as the state braces for potentially strong winds and extreme fire weather conditions.Pacific Gas & Electric shut off power Sunday to about 11,000 customers mostly in the Butte County area, said Angela Lombardi, a company spokeswoman. Another 54,000 customers could see their power shut off later in the day because of the hot, dry weather and high winds in the forecast, she said, adding residents in a total of 16 counties could be affected.The shutoffs are only called “as a last resort,” Lombardi said. “PG&E meteorologists are continually evaluating and monitoring the weather.”The shutoffs come as fire-weary California prepared for a new siege of hot, dry weather with potentially strong winds that could cause power lines to arc and spark new blazes in parched vegetation that’s ready to burn.  Red Flag warnings for extreme fire weather conditions were issued for the northern and central areas of the state from late Saturday to Monday, the National Weather Service said.  A new wildfire broke out Sunday in Napa County, prompting the evacuation of residents before dawn. The swift-moving fire is near several wineries and has burned 1.6 square miles (4.1 square kilometers), the San Francisco Chronicle reported.Amy Bordeau, of Calistoga, told the newspaper she woke up to fire alerts and social media messages from worried friends and grabbed the same bag she recently used when evacuating from another fire.”It’s a bit traumatizing,” she said. “I feel like I’m constantly fight or flight.”So far this year, more than 8,000 California wildfires have scorched 5,600 square miles (14,504 square kilometers), destroyed more than 7,000 buildings and killed 26 people. Most of the loss has occurred since a frenzy of dry lightning strikes in mid-August ignited a massive outbreak of fires. The causes of other fires remain under investigation and authorities said one was caused by a pyrotechnic device at a gender reveal event.PG&E has said it is striving to narrow the scope and shorten the length of power cuts after being sharply criticized for intentional outages last year that affected millions of people and sometimes lasted for days.Lombardi said the utility hopes to be able to inspect equipment once the windy weather subsides Monday. After that point, the company aims to subsequently restore power to customers within 12 daylight hours, she said.The shutoffs are part of a safety program that aims to prevent disasters. Wildfires sparked by PG&E equipment include the wind-driven 2018 Camp Fire that destroyed much of the Sierra Nevada foothills town of Paradise and killed 85 people.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Наступного тижня на одному з прикордонних пунктів можливе уповільнення пропуску з боку Польщі – ДПСУ

Західне регіональне управління Держприкордонслужби України 27 вересня повідомило, що наступного тижня на одному із пунктів пропуску на кордоні можливе уповільнення процесу оформлення з боку Польщі.

«За повідомленням польської сторони, у вівторок, 29 вересня, з 8:00 до 18:00 за варшавським часом (з 9:00 до 19.00 за київським), буде проводитись технічне обслуговування трансформаторних станцій на автомобільному пункті перетину кордону «Дорогуськ». У зв’язку із зазначеними роботами буде відключено електроенергію. Протягом цього часу існує ймовірність уповільнення процесу оформлення контрольними службами Республіки Польща», – йдеться в повідомленні прикордонників.

У ДПСУ просять громадян врахувати інформацію і для уникнення черг перед пунктом пропуску «Ягодин» обирати для перетину кордону інші пункти.

Кордон з Польщею можна перетнути також в пунктах пропуску «Рава-Руська-Гребенне», «Краківець-Корчова», «Шегині-Медика» та «Грушів-Будомєж».

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Теніс: Ястремська покидає Roland Garros через програш у стартовому матчі

Українська тенісистка Даяна Ястремська 27 вересня поступилася у першому раунді на Відкритому чемпіонаті Франції представниці Австралії Дар’ї Гавриловій з рахунком 4:6, 3:6. Поєдинок тривав 1 годину 29 хвилин.

Торік Даяна Ястремська також програла в першому колі Roland Garros.

У понеділок, 28 вересня, стартують у першому колі третього в сезоні турніру серії «Великий слем» Roland Garros у Парижі Еліна Світоліна та Катаріна Завацька.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

TikTok Fate in the Balance as Judge Weighs App Store Ban

Lawyers for TikTok pleaded with a U.S. federal judge on Sunday to delay the Trump administration’s ban of the popular video sharing program from app stores set to take effect at the end of the day, arguing the move would infringe on First Amendment rights and do irreparable harm to the business.The 90-minute hearing came after President Donald Trump declared this summer that TikTok was a threat to national security and that it either sold its U.S. operations to U.S. companies or the app would be barred from the country.TikTok, owned by Chinese company ByteDance, is scrambling to firm up a deal tentatively struck a week ago in which it would partner with tech company Oracle and retailer Walmart and that would get the blessing of the Chinese and American governments. In the meantime, it is fighting to keep the app available in the United States.The ban on new downloads of TikTok, which has about 100 million users in the U.S, was delayed once by the government. A more comprehensive ban is scheduled for November, about a week after the presidential election. Judge Carl Nichols of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia said he would make a decision by late Sunday, leaving TikTok’s fate hanging.In arguments to Nichols, TikTok lawyer John Hall said that TikTok is more than an app but rather is a “modern day version of a town square.””If that prohibition goes into effect at midnight, the consequences immediately are grave,'” Hall said. “It would be no different than the government locking the doors to a public forum, roping off that town square” at a time when a free exchange of ideas is necessary heading into a polarized election.  TikTok lawyers also argued that a ban on the app would stop tens of thousands of potential viewers and content creators every month and hurt its ability to hire new talent. In addition, Hall argued that a ban would prevent existing users from automatically receiving security updates, eroding national security.  Justice Department lawyer Daniel Schwei sought to undercut TikTok lawyers’ argument, saying that Chinese companies are not purely private and are subject to intrusive laws compelling their cooperation with intelligence agencies. The Justice Department has also argued that economic regulations of this nature generally are not subject to First Amendment scrutiny. Plaintiffs can’t claim a First Amendment right in hosting TikTok itself as a platform for others’ speech because merely hosting a platform is not an exercise of the First Amendment, the Justice Department contends.  “This is the most immediate national security threat,” Schwei argued. “It is a threat today. It is a risk today and therefore it deserves to be addressed today even while other things are ongoing and playing out.”Schwei also argued that TikTok lawyers failed to prove it would suffer irreparable business harm.The Justice Department laid out its objections to TikTok’s motion for a temporary injunction in a brief under seal, but it was unsealed in redacted form to protect confidential business information.Trump set the process in motion with executive orders in August that declared TikTok and another Chinese app, WeChat, as threats to national security. The White House says the video service is a security risk because the personal information of its millions of U.S. users could be handed over to Chinese authorities.Trump has said he would approve a proposed deal in which Oracle and Walmart could initially own a combined 20% of a new U.S. entity, TikTok Global. Trump also said he could retract his approval if Oracle doesn’t have “total control.”The two sides of the TikTok deal have also appeared at odds over the corporate structure of TikTok Global. ByteDance said last week that it will still own 80% of the U.S. entity after a financing round. Oracle, meanwhile, put out a statement saying that Americans “will be the majority and ByteDance will have no ownership in TikTok Global.”Chinese media have criticized the deal as bullying and extortion, suggesting that the Chinese government is not happy with the arrangement. ByteDance said Thursday it has applied for a Chinese technology export license after Beijing tightened control over exports last month in an effort to gain leverage over Washington’s attempt to force an outright sale of TikTok to U.S. owners.  China’s foreign ministry has said the government will “take necessary measures” to safeguard its companies but gave no indication what steps it can take to affect TikTok’s fate in the United States.TikTok is suing the U.S. government over Trump’s Aug. 6 executive order, saying it is unlawful. So are resulting Commerce Department prohibitions that aim to kick TikTok out of U.S. app stores and, in November, essentially shut it down in the U.S., it claimed.The Chinese firm said the president doesn’t have the authority to take these actions under the national security law he cited, that the ban violates TikTok’s First Amendment speech rights and Fifth Amendment due-process rights, and that there’s no authority for the restrictions because they are not based on a national emergency.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Правозахисники заявили про понад 200 заарештованих через недільні протести в Білорусі

Правозахисний центр «Весна» заявив про понад 200 затриманих під час протестів у Білорусі 27 вересня, цей список досі оновлюється.

Водночас раніше в неділю у МВС країни заявляли, що співробітники правоохоронних органів затримали близько 200 учасників акцій в Мінську та інших містах.

Загалом, за оцінками журналістів, лише в акціях протесту в білоруській столиці в неділю взяли участь близько 100 тисяч людей. Гаслом акції обрали – «Народна інавгурація справжнього президента».

Як повідомляє Білоруська служба Радіо Свобода, людей у Мінську затримували посеред вулиці, у дворах. У Гродно сталися сутички між силовиками і протестувальниками. Затримання пройшли також у місті Ліда, у Могильові, в Гомелі. Там, як вказують очевидці, проти учасників протесту застосували сльозогінний газ і світлошумові гранати. Повідомлення про затриманих надходили упродовж дня із Бобруйська, Вітебська, Бреста.

У Білорусі майже два місяці не вщухають протести після президентських виборів, на яких, за даними ЦВК, вшосте переміг Олександр Лукашенко. 23 вересня відбулася церемонія його інавгурації як президента. Координаційна рада опозиції заявила про безстрокову акцію непокори.

Під час протестів 26 вересня, як повідомило МВС Білорусі, були затримані 150 людей.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Paris Attacker Says He Was Targeting ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Magazine 

French officials say a man who is suspected of stabbing two people Friday in Paris has said he was targeting what he thought were the offices of the satirical magazine “Charlie Hebdo” because it had recently republished cartoons featuring the Prophet Muhammad.  The attacker was identified as an 18-year-old Pakistani man who arrived in France three years ago as an unaccompanied minor.  He was apparently unaware that the magazine had moved from that location, following  a 2015 attack that killed 17 people.  French authorities launched an anti-terrorism investigation after the attack on Friday. In an interview with France 2 television station, French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said the attack was “clearly an act of Islamist terrorism.”  On Sunday, Darmanin visited a synagogue and said more than 7,000 police and soldiers are protecting Jewish services as the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, begins. “Because we know that Jews are particularly targeted by Islamist attacks,” Darmanin told reporters, “we should obviously protect them.” Jean-Francois Ricard, France’s counterterrorism prosecutor, said the attacker did not know the victims — a woman and a man from a documentary production company on a smoke break.   French police said on Saturday they had detained a person believed to be a former roommate of the man who attacked the people.  Late Friday police released a 33-year-old Algerian man who was a witness and had “chased the assailant,” after the investigators corroborated the man’s account. A terrorism trial for 14 people accused of being accomplices in the 2015 attack on the magazine is currently going on in Paris.    “Charlie Hebdo” angered many Muslims by publishing cartoons featuring the Prophet Muhammad, and ahead of the trial it recently reprinted some of the same cartoons.      Police recently moved the magazine’s head of human resources from her home after she was the target of death threats around the start of the trial.   

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Dozens Arrested as Protests Against Lukashenko Continue in Belarus 

Belarusian police detained dozens of protesters on Sunday during a march in Minsk and security forces in Homel used tear gas against demonstrators, as a groundswell of opposition to Alexander Lukashenko, who claimed victory in the country’s presidential election more than a month ago, continued for the 50th day. The protests in Minsk, Homel, and other cities came after Lukashenko, in power since 1994, was inaugurated on September 23 in a secretive ceremony that prompted European Union members and the United States to issue statements that they did not recognize his legitimacy. A spokesman for the Homel Regional Executive Committee’s Main Department of Internal Affairs said “technical devices” were used to cause a loud explosion and a flash of light and tear gas was used “because some people behaved inappropriately,” RFE/RL’s Belarus Service reported. Tens of thousands of people, waving red and white opposition flags, marched through Minsk in the latest demonstration since Lukashenko was declared the winner of the August 9 presidential election. Protesters were planning to hold an “inauguration of the people” in support of Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya, the exiled opposition candidate, who is now in Lithuania. Tsikhanouskaya, who joined the presidential race at the last moment after her husband’s own bid was ended after he was jailed, said she won the August 9 poll with 60 to 70 percent of the vote. She called for Belarusians to demonstrate on September 27 for the “goal of new, honest elections and, as a result, an official, lawful inauguration.” In Minsk, dozens of protesters on September 27 were rounded up and forced into police vans by riot police in balaclavas. Rallies were also reported elsewhere in Belarus, including in Mogilev, Hrodna, Lida, and Homel. The protests came a day after security forces in Minsk detained more than 100 protesters during a women’s march. Hundreds of thousands of Belarusians have taken to the streets for seven weeks, calling for Lukashenko to step down and new elections to be held. Lukashenko has directed a brutal postelection crackdown in response to protests, including thousands of arrests, beatings, and other mistreatment of peaceful protesters, and the expulsions of foreign journalists. He has denied accusations that the presidential election was rigged. Meanwhile, most figures in the opposition’s Coordination Council, a body established to facilitate dialogue and a peaceful transfer of power, have been forced into exile or detained. In Lithuania, leading writers, artists, and scientists on September 27 appealed to French President Emmanuel Macron to support protesters in Belarus. Macron begins a two-day visit to Lithuania and Latvia on September 28. “Men and women of Belarus are subjected to inhuman torture. And this is happening in 21st century Europe!,” said a poster designed as an open letter to Macron and signed by more than 40 leading Lithuanian cultural figures. “We trust that you, who represents France, where human rights were born, will also hear the painful cry of the Belarusian people for their freedom,” the appeal says.  

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Перила, які обвалились на пішохідному мосту через колії станції «Київ-Пасажирський», відновили – УЗ

В «Укрзалізниці» повідомили про відновлення пошкоджених перил на пішохідному мосту через головні колії станції «Київ-Пасажирський».

«Зазначений залізобетонний пішохідний міст збудований у 1986 році. У 2012 році на мосту було укладено новий схід на північну платформу №2. У вересні 2019 року відділ діагностики штучних споруд Київського Центру діагностики залізничної інфраструктури провів планову перевірку штучних споруд Київської дистанції колії. Усі зауваження були усунені, окрім одного: припинити стихійну торгівлю. При проведенні весняного огляду в березні 2020 року зауважень по перилах не зафіксовано», – йдеться в повідомленні на сайті «Укрзалізниці».

В УЗ зазначили, що «постійний фізичний вплив» призвів до руйнації перильного огородження пішохідного мосту.

«Для запобігання та недопущення стихійної торгівлі на мосту регіональна філія «Південно-Західна залізниця» АТ «Укрзалізниця» неодноразово зверталася до Національної поліції України. Останнє звернення було 9 вересня 2020 року», – додали в «Укрзалізниці».

Там зазначили, що наприкінці вересня залізничники проведуть планову діагностику мосту.

Перила на пішохідному мосту через колії станції «Київ-Пасажирський» обвалилися 26 вересня. Внаслідок інциденту ніхто не постраждав.