Daily Archives

26 Articles

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

US Stocks Fall as Global Markets Swoon

Wall Street slumped Monday as markets tumbled worldwide on worries about the pandemic’s economic pain, though the S&P 500 had pared its losses by the end of the day.  The drops began in Asia as soon as trading opened for the week, and they accelerated in Europe on worries about the possibility of tougher restrictions there to stem rising coronavirus counts. In the U.S., stocks and Treasury yields weakened, while prices sank for oil and other commodities that a healthy economy would demand.  The S&P 500 fell 38.41 points, or 1.2%, to 3,281.06. It extends the index’s losing streak to four days, its longest since stocks were selling off in February on recession worries. But a last-hour recovery helped the blue-chip index more than halve its loss of 2.7% from earlier in the day.  The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 509.72, or 1.8%, to 27,147.70 after coming back from an earlier 942-point slide. The Nasdaq composite slipped 14.48, or 0.1%, to 10,778.80 after recovering from a 2.5% drop.  Wall Street has been shaky this month, and the S&P 500 has dropped 8.4% since hitting a record high Sept. 2 amid a long list of worries for investors. Chief among them is fear that stocks got too expensive when coronavirus counts are still worsening, Congress is unable to deliver more aid for the economy, U.S.-China tensions are rising, and a contentious U.S. election is approaching. Investors should expect the stock market to remain volatile, perhaps through the November elections, as they wait for these questions to shake out, said Jason Draho, head of asset allocation for the Americas at UBS Global Wealth Management.  Monday’s selling was exacerbated by worries about the possibility of more business restrictions in Europe, particularly as the United States heads into flu season, Draho said, and “some investors may be stepping aside.”  David Joy, chief market strategist at Ameriprise Financial, noted how Monday’s sharpest drops were concentrated in areas of the market most closely tied to the economy’s strength, such as energy companies and raw-material producers. “It seems to be a broader expression of worry about the economy,” he said. Bank stocks took sharp losses after a report alleged that several continue to profit from illicit dealings with criminal networks, despite U.S. crackdowns on money laundering.  Divided countryInvestors are also worried about the diminishing prospects that Congress may soon deliver more aid to the economy. Many investors call such support crucial after extra weekly unemployment benefits and other stimulus expired. But partisan disagreements have held up any renewal of what is known as the CARES Act.  “The stimulus money from the CARES Act, the impact of that, is running off, and there doesn’t seem to be any urgency in Washington to get another package together,” Joy said.  Partisan rancor is only continuing to rise, deflating hopes further. The sudden vacancy on the Supreme Court following the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the latest flashpoint dividing the country. Tensions between the world’s two largest economies are also weighing on markets. President Donald Trump has targeted Chinese tech companies in particular, and the Department of Commerce on Friday announced a list of prohibitions that could eventually cripple U.S. operations of Chinese-owned apps TikTok and WeChat. The government cited national security and data privacy concerns. That raises the threat of Chinese retaliation against U.S. companies.  Coronavirus pandemicLayered on top of all those concerns for the market is the continuing coronavirus pandemic and its effect on the global economy.  On Sunday, the British government reported 4,422 new coronavirus infections, its biggest daily rise since early May. An official estimate shows new cases and hospital admissions are doubling every week. Prime Minister Boris Johnson later this week is expected to announce a slate of short-term restrictions that will act as a “circuit breaker” to slow the spread of the disease. The number of cases has been rising quickly in many European countries, and while authorities do not seem ready to return to the tough restrictions on public life that they imposed in the spring, the new wave of the pandemic threatens the economic outlook. September’s losses for markets are reversing months of remarkable gains. Beginning in late March, when the Federal Reserve and Congress pledged massive amounts of support for the economy, the S&P 500 erased its nearly 34% in losses caused by the pandemic. Signs of budding economic improvements accelerated the gains, but growth has slowed recently. 

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Звільнений із колонії кримчанин Мемедемінов не виключає, що повернеться до громадянської журналістики

Кримський громадянський журналіст Наріман Мемедемінов, який 21 вересня звільнився з колонії-поселення в Ростовській області Росії, не виключає, що після повернення до анексованого Криму знову займеться висвітленням судових процесів над кримськими татарами. Про це він сам розповів в ефірі Радіо Крим.Реалії (проєкту Радіо Свобода).

«Я продовжую вважати себе громадянським журналістом. Але наскільки у мене буде можливість займатися цією діяльністю – я думаю, буде видно і зрозуміло по приїзду в Крим. Наскільки це корисно, наскільки це потрібно. Я знаю, що, на жаль, арешти і так звані кримінальні справи – політично мотивовані – тривають, і це не тільки наша думка, а й оцінка світового співтовариства», – зазначив Мемедемінов.

Кримський адвокат Едем Семедляєв наголосив, що, згідно з вироком російського суду, Наріману Мемедемінову не заборонено займатися публічною діяльністю після звільнення. Проте, за словами захисника, група юристів вже готує скаргу до Європейського суду з прав людини.

«Звичайно ж, звинувачення насправді було пов’язано з його журналістською діяльністю … Ми розглядаємо питання про подання скарги до Європейського суду з прав людини. Власне, наші партнери вже готують її», – сказав Семедляєв.

У жовтні 2019 року російський суд засудив Нарімана Мемедемінова до двох з половиною років ув’язнення в колонії-поселенні за звинуваченнями в «публічних закликах до здійснення терористичної діяльності через інтернет». Підсудний провину не визнав.

Військовий апеляційний суд у Московській області Росії 14 травня залишив вирок у силі. МЗС України висловило протест у зв’язку з цим рішенням.

Наріман Мемедемінов відбув весь термін ув’язнення в колонії-поселенні в Ростовській області Росії. Російський правозахисний центр «Меморіал» у 2018 році визнав його політв’язнем.

До арешту Мемедемінов співпрацював з низкою українських ЗМІ, в тому числі з Крим.Реалії. У листопаді 2019 року колективним лауреатом Національної премії за захист свободи слова імені Ігоря Лубченка Національна спілка журналістів України визнала кримськотатарських громадянських журналістів, яких переслідують у Криму, зокрема і Мемедемінова.

 

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Дії Росії в Криму і на Донбасі свідчать, що урок Другої світової війни не засвоєний – Зеленський в ООН

«Окупація Криму та військова російська агресія на Донбасі свідчать про те, що цього уроку не засвоїли…»

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Голова НАЗК після допиту звинуватив ДБР у тиску

Голова Національного агентства з питань запобігання корупції Олександр Новіков заявив, що керівництво Державного бюро розслідувань (ДБР) намагається здійснювати тиск на НАЗК «через законні дії агентства для вирішення конфлікту інтересів у керівників бюро – Олександра Бабікова й Олександра Соколова».

Як повідомляє пресслужба НАЗК, про це Новіков сказав 21 вересня після його допиту в ДБР як свідка.

За словами Новікова, серед причин виклику на допит він бачить нещодавній лист НАЗК до голови комітету з питань правоохоронної діяльності Верховної Ради Дениса Монастирського.

У листі йшлося про те, що заступник директора ДБР Олександр Бабіков працює в умовах потенційного конфлікту інтересів, здійснюючи керівництво ДБР, яке займається розслідуванням справ Майдану.

«Конфлікт інтересів у заступника директора ДБР Бабікова буде постійним. Єдиним заходом [для повного вирішення конфлікту інтересів] у цьому випадку може бути лише його звільнення з посади», – сказав голова НАЗК.

Новіков також заявив, що НАЗК внесло припис в. о. директора ДБР Олександру Соколову щодо ненадання працівниками ДБР інформації про конфлікт інтересів у нього і його заступника.

НАЗК має підстави вважати, що Олександр Соколов не здійснив заходи з усунення конфлікту інтересів, нарахувавши премію та інші виплати самому собі, додав Новіков.

У ДБР заяву голови НАЗК не коментували. На сайті бюро вказано, що виклик Новікова на допит як свідка здійснений для встановлення відомих йому «обставин щодо заволодіння службовими особами НАЗК серверним обладнанням ТОВ».

У пресслужбі НАЗК повідомили, що йдеться про справу щодо підозри екскерівництва НАЗК у зловживанні на понад дев’ять мільйонів гривень при оренді обладнання для Реєстру декларацій.

У січні цього року першим заступником директора Державного бюро розслідувань став колишній адвокат експрезидента України Віктора Януковича Олександр Бабіков, а посаду заступника директора бюро обійняв Олександр Соколов.

Перед цим низка громадських організацій звернулася до президента, керівництва ДБР, Офісу генпрокурора, НАБУ та народних депутатів з відкритим листом, в якому закликала не призначати Олександра Бабікова заступником директора ДБР.

«Призначення Олександра Бабікова не є можливим. І не лише тому, що це взагалі морально неприпустимо і страшно звучить. Адвокат Януковича буде курувати розслідуванням справ Майдану. Це вже нищить довіру до ДБР на друзки, як з боку потерпілих, з боку слідчих, так і довіру суспільства в цілому», – йшлося у листі.

Тодішня в.о. директора ДБР Ірина Венедіктова, що підрозділ по справах Майдану підпорядкований виключно директору ДБР, і «вжито всіх передбачених законом заходів, спрямованих на недопущення конфлікту інтересів».

У березні Венедіктову призначили генеральним прокурором.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

British Health Minister Lays Out COVID-19 Response as Cases Surge

Britain’s health minister went before parliament Monday to discuss the government’s response to a surge in positive COVID-19 cases in the nation.Matt Hancock acknowledged what the government’s top medical and science advisers had said earlier in the day – that COVID-19 has been surging across age groups throughout much of Britain.Among the steps the government plans to take, Hancock said, is encouraging self-isolation by those who have been infected or exposed to the virus. The government will also offer a single support payment of about $640 for low-income people for whom self-isolation would be an economic hardship.A woman wears a face mask as she stands in front of a statue of The Beatles following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease in Liverpool, Britain, Sept. 21, 2020.Hancock said those asked to self-isolate who refuse to do so could face fines of nearly $13,000 for serious breaches or repeat offenders.The health minister told British lawmakers that demand for testing has dropped slightly since last week, taking a little pressure off the system. Nonetheless, the demand for tests remains high enough that the government must prioritize who receives them.Hancock said acute care cases are the top priority for testing, followed by people in care homes, National Health Service targeted testing for outbreak management and surveillance studies, teaching staff with symptoms, and the general public.He said the government continues working on further measures to address the COVID-19 surge, and the prime minister will update parliament Tuesday on further measures.Earlier Monday, the government’s chief medical adviser reported the latest figures show new cases in Britain totaled more than 6,000 per day. Chris Witty said if nothing changes, at the current rate of infection, new cases could reach 50,000 a day by this time next month. 

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

How Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Made US History

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg made U.S. history before being chosen for the Supreme Court. Here’s what you may not know about her.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Navalny Demands Russia Return Clothes for Poisoning Investigation

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny demanded Monday that Russia return the clothes he was wearing when he fell ill last month, saying the items are important evidence in the investigation of his poisoning.Navalny became sick while flying to Moscow on Aug. 20 and was taken to a hospital in Omsk. He wrote in his blog Monday that before being sent to Germany for treatment two days later, his clothes were taken from him.”Considering Novichok was found on my body, and that infection through contact is very likely, my clothes are a very important piece of evidence,” he said.A German military lab determined Navalny was poisoned with the nerve agent Novichok, a substance Western governments have accused Russia of using in the past, including against a former spy in Britain in 2018.Russia has not opened an investigation into the incident involving Navalny, saying its labs have found no indications he was poisoned. The Kremlin has also denied any involvement.Russian dissident Alexei Navalny, not seen in photo, on a stretcher is transferred into an ambulance before being driven to an airport, at the Omsk Ambulance Hospital, in Omsk, Russia, Aug. 22, 2020.Germany has threatened economic sanctions against Russia in response to what Foreign Minister Heiko Maas called a “serious crime,” while British Prime Minister Boris Johnson called the use of a chemical agent “outrageous.”The Trump administration has said it is working with allies “to hold those in Russia accountable.”Doctors in Germany put Navalny under an induced coma for more than a week as part of his treatment. After waking up, Navalny has reported his condition improving, including regaining more of his mental and physical abilities.Navalny has been a frequent critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin and worked on anti-corruption efforts in Russia. He has been jailed numerous times on charges that he and his supporters said were politically motivated. 

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

What Fight Over TikTok Portends for Tech

The battle between China and the U.S. over the fate of video sharing app TikTok raises questions for the tech industry worldwide. What might the struggle over TikTok portend for global companies? Michelle Quinn reports.Producer: Matt Dibble