Daily Archives

9 Articles

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Insurgents Kill 7 Security Force Members in Northern Sinai, Egypt Says

Egypt says Terrorists killed seven members of its security forces during three attacks on checkpoints near the northern Sinai town of el-Arish. 

The Interior Ministry said Four terrorists, including a man thought to be a suicide bomber, were also killed during ensuing gunbattles, which occurred late Tuesday.  

Qatari-owned Al Jazeera TV reported that the Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the attacks on its Amaq website. VOA could not independently confirm the claim, nor is it clear who is behind the website. 

Ashmawi trial

Meanwhile, Egyptian state TV said the attacks coincided with the start of the trial of suspected officer-turned-terrorist Hisham al-Ashmawi, who last month was handed over to the Egyptian military by Libyan armed forces loyal to Gen. Khalifa Hafter. Ashmawi is wanted in connection with several high-profile attacks in recent years, including the 2015 explosion that killed General Prosecutor Hisham Barakat. Ashmawi was captured in Derna, Libya, last October. 
 
Hilal Khashan, who teaches political science at the American University of Beirut, told VOA he didn’t think that the Sinai attack was related to Ashmawi’s trial or other ongoing events, including the conference in Bahrain aimed at ending the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. 

Khashan said he thought the “insurgents in the northern Sinai launch attacks wherever they are capable,” and that they cannot mount operations “on a daily basis.” Therefore, he said, “if the attacks take place during the conference in Bahrain, this is coincidental.” 
 
Khashan said he thought the “main support for the insurgents is coming from the Sinai Bedouin.” He said the Egyptian government had “failed to integrate the Bedouin into Egyptian society” and had not been “sympathetic to their social or economic plight.” 

Others blamed

Egyptian media, however, accuse other countries and groups, including Iran, Qatar, Turkey, Hezbollah and Hamas, of supporting the militants. Al Jazeera TV said the militants were “driving 10 four-wheel-drive vehicles” during the attacks. It was not clear how such vehicles could have been brought into the Sinai without the help of an outside country. 
 
Several anti-Egyptian websites also claimed the Sinai attacks were related to the sudden collapse and death of ousted former President Mohammed Morsi in a Cairo courtroom June 17. 

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Huawei Loses Trade Secrets Theft Case Against US Chip Designer

A logo of Huawei marks one of the company’s buildings in Dongguan, in China’s Guangdong province, March 6, 2019.

A U.S. jury on Wednesday cleared California semiconductor designer CNEX Labs Inc of stealing trade secrets from Chinese electronics giant Huawei Technologies.

Huawei had sued CNEX in U.S. District Court, Sherman, Texas, for misappropriation of trade secrets involving a memory control technology and for poaching its employees.

A Huawei spokesman said the company was considering its next steps.

 

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Witnesses: Forces Allied to Libya’s UN-Backed Government Retake Town South of Tripoli

Forces allied to Libya’s internationally recognized government on Wednesday seized part of the town of Gharyan south of Tripoli previously held by eastern forces, witnesses said.

Gharyan is the main forward base for the eastern forces led by Khalifa Haftar in their campaign to take control of Tripoli.
 

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

«Тепер Росії вирішувати» – Волкер про розведення сил у Станиці Луганській

Спеціальний представник Держдепартаменту США щодо України Курт Волкер привітав відведення українських військових із однієї з позицій перед КПВВ у Станиці Луганській і вказав, що очікує наступного кроку від Росії.

«Гарний крок, здійснений Україною в Станиці-Луганській. Тепер Росії вирішувати щодо реалізації взаємних подальших заходів для зміцнення припинення вогню, включно з відведенням важкої зброї і роззброєнням незаконних збройних формувань», – написав посол Волкер у мережі Twitter.

Українські військові опівдні 26 червня відійшли з однієї з позицій перед КПВВ у Станиці Луганській, повідомили у штабі Операції об’єднаних сил. «По сигналу сигнальних ракет з нашої сторони та сторони бойовиків наші військові покинули визначені ОБСЄ позиції. Наразі не відомо, чи відвів своїх військових противник», – ішлося в повідомленні штабу.

Згідно з повідомленням, на днях очікується приїзд українського представника в Тристоронній контактній групі Леоніда Кучми, щоб «продовжити роботу з розведення сторін на визначені Мінськими домовленостями рубежі».

В сепаратистському угрупованні «ЛНР» також заявили про розведення сил у Станиці Луганській і додали, що цей процес може зайняти до трьох днів.

У Спеціальній моніторинговій місії ОБСЄ 26 червня підтвердили готовність «контролювати та перевіряти процес розведення з обох сторін лінії розмежування». «Місія також проводить дистанційне спостереження з камерами та безпілотними апратами», – вказано в повідомленні місії.

Розвести сили в Станиці Луганській намагаються з 2016 року.

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

«Свати» повертаються з 1 липня – студія «Квартал 95»

Студія «Квартал 95» повідомила про повернення на телеекрани України серіалу «Свати», демонстрація якого кілька років була заборонена.

«Вони скучили, а ви? «Свати» повертаються! Уже з 1 липня о 20:45 1+1 розпочинає показ шостого сезону вашої улюбленої комедії», – проінформувала студія «Квартал 95» у Facebook.

Група 1+1 media заявила раніше цього мясця про намір оскаржити в суді рішення експертної ради при Державному агентстві з питань кіно про відмову у видачі прокатного посвідчення на другий сезон серіалу «Свати».

«Група 1+1 media обурена таким рішенням та вважає його необґрунтованим, нелогічним та політично вмотивованим, особливо з урахуванням останнього рішення Шостого апеляційного адміністративного суду. Раніше, 15 травня, суд не задовольнив апеляційні скарги СБУ та Держкіно на рішення суду про зняття заборони з серіалу «Свати», – ідеться в повідомленні медіагрупи.

Як інформує «Детектор Медіа», членкиня експертної комісії Держкіно Марія Гурська (програмна директорка каналу «Еспресо») сказала, що в серіалі державні установи підписано російською мовою, а деякі вивіски – українською, з чого складається враження, що Україна інтегрована в російський простір. А також – що серіал розвиває в українців комплекс меншовартості, принижує їхню гідність, оскільки родина героїв з українським прізвищем виглядає менш освіченою, «селюками», на відміну від родини з російським прізвищем. Вона зауважила, що в разі перемонтування другого сезону і зміни прізвища героїв серіалу експертна комісія могла би погодитися на видачу прокатного посвідчення.

У цілому за відмову у видачі прокатного посвідчення на другий сезон серіалу «Свати» проголосували 15 членів комісії, один член – за дозвіл, двоє заявили про конфлікт інтересів, а один член комісії не брав участі в засіданні через зайнятість на зйомках.

Колегія суддів Шостого апеляційного адміністративного суду 15 травня відхилила апеляцію Служби безпеки України та Державного агентства України з питань кіно, яка стосувалася рішення Окружного адміністративного суду Києва в справі про серіал «Свати».

 

your ad here
Posted by Ukrap on

Заява України та шести інших делегацій, що залишили залу ПАРЄ – відео з перекладом

Делегації Естонії, Грузії, Латвії, Литви, Польщі, Словаччини та України в Парламентській асамблеї Ради Європи залишили залу засідань після того, як ПАРЄ остаточно зняла всі санкції проти делегації Росії. «Ми повертаємося додому, щоб консультуватися з нашими парламентами і урядами про спільні дії в асамблеї на наступних сесіях», – зазначено у спільній заяві цієї групи депутатів ПАРЄ. (Відео: Володимир Ар’єв)

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

Report: US Special Counsel Mueller to Testify Before House Panels July 17

U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who issued a report in April on Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election,  will testify in open session before the House of Representatives Judiciary and Intelligence Committees on July 17, the panels’ Democratic chairmen said on Tuesday.

Representative Jerrold Nadler, chairman of the judiciary panel, and Representative Adam Schiff, head of the intelligence panel, said in a joint statement that Mueller had agreed to testify after the two committees issued subpoenas on Tuesday.

This is a breaking story. Please check back for updates.

your ad here
Posted by Worldkrap on

US Confirms 200 Unaccompanied Minors Removed From CBP Facility

VOA’s Victoria Macchi contributed to this report.

WASHINGTON — More than 200 children held in a border facility described as unsafe and unsanitary last week were transferred to the care of another U.S. agency by Tuesday, U.S. health authorities confirmed.

In a statement emailed to VOA, U.S. Health and Human Services acknowledged it worked with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to remove 249 unaccompanied children from the CBP Clint Station facility in Texas.

The statement came after the Associated Press reported unsanitary living conditions and inadequate food and medical treatment at the facility.

The children held at Clint Station were those who crossed the border without authorization and without a guardian, and are referred to as “unaccompanied alien children,” or UACs.

Rep. Veronica Escobar, D-Texas, joined at left by Rep. Katherine Clark, D-Mass., vice chair of the Democratic Caucus, speaks with reporters following a meeting of fellow Democrats focusing on a path to emergency humanitarian aid to help migrants…

Rep. Veronica Escobar, D-Texas, joined at left by Rep. Katherine Clark, D-Mass., vice chair of the Democratic Caucus, speaks with reporters following a meeting of fellow Democrats focusing on a path to emergency humanitarian aid to help migrant detained on the southwestern border.

While CBP is the agency that detains unauthorized border crossers, HHS generally takes custody of detained, unaccompanied children within 72 hours, as is mandated by law except for rare occasions in which a child is held by CBP for longer.

“UAC are waiting too long in CBP facilities that are not designed to care for children,” an HHS official told VOA.

The agency said it was able to expedite how soon children in its care were released to sponsors  often an extended family member, like a grandparent. A process that was taking 90 days in November 2018 was down to an average of 44 days in May, according to HHS.

But like other agencies working with children and families detained at the border, HHS and CBP are struggling to meet the demands of the recent increase in arrivals.

Trump “personally concerned”

Meanwhile, despite the confirmation from HHS that 249 children were removed from the Clint facility, media outlets reported that an official from CBP, who briefed reporters on Tuesday, said the government moved more than 100 children back to the same facility .

CBP drew criticism from human rights groups and federal lawmakers over the AP report last week.

After signing an affordable housing executive order in the Oval Office on Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump said he was “personally concerned about the conditions” at border facilities after AP’s report.

Trump said “A lot of these young children come from places that you don’t even want to know about, the way they’ve lived, the way they’ve been.”

He also said his administration is trying to get Democrats to give “some humanitarian aid humanitarian money.”

CBP chief resigning

It is also unclear whether that report played a role in the announcement on Tuesday that the head of CBP, Acting Commissioner John Sanders, is resigning.

He will leave his post on July 5, a CBP official confirmed in an email to VOA.

The agency declined to provide further comment on the resignation.