$1*/ mo hosting! Everything you need to succeed online with us!

8,178 Articles

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Indonesia: Two Days After Prison Break, 200 Inmates at Large

Indonesian authorities said about 200 inmates remained at large two days after a mass escape from an overcrowded prison on Sumatra island.

 

The prison break Friday occurred when prisoners were let out of their cells at Sialang Bungkuk Prison in Pekanbaru, the capital of Riau province, to perform prayers. They broke through a prison door, overwhelming the few guards on duty.

About 200 at large

 

Local police chief Susanto, who goes by one name, said 242 men were recaptured by Sunday morning leaving about 200 still at large.

 

Authorities were initially uncertain about how many prisoners had escaped from the prison, estimating the numbers at between 100 and 300.

 

Police said some of the men surrendered or were returned by their families while others were captured by residents, police and soldiers.

Prison overcrowded 

Various officials have said the prisoners were angry at poor conditions and treatment. The prison has a capacity of about 360 but according to local police spokesman Guntur Aryo Tejo it is holding more than 1,870 men.

 

Tejo said four of the recaptured inmates were apprehended by police late Friday about 100 kilometers (62 miles) from the prison on a bus heading for neighboring West Sumatra province. 

 

Hundreds of police and soldiers have been deployed since Friday in the hunt for the prisoners.

 

Jailbreaks are common in Indonesia where overcrowding has become a significant problem in prisons that are struggling to cope with poor funding and an influx of people arrested under a war on drugs.

 

Friday’s escape was the biggest since July 2013 when about 240 prisoners, including several convicted terrorists, escaped following a deadly riot at a prison in Medan, the capital of North Sumatra province. 

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Some South Koreans Hope to Thaw Ties With North if Moon Elected

In February 2016, Yoo Chang-geun and about 120 other South Korean businessmen frantically pulled their staff out of the Kaesong Industrial Zone, jointly run with North Korea. Seoul had ordered it closed after Pyongyang defied international warnings and tested a long-range rocket.

Now, with South Koreans in next week’s presidential election almost certain to elect liberal Moon Jae-in, they have reason for hope. Moon has promised to reopen the complex, the signature project of the so-called “Sunshine Policy” of engagement with North Korea pursued earlier this century.

“We are more hopeful than ever,” Yoo said. “Moon might not be able to reopen Kaesong right away but he will follow steps toward it in the course of improving South-North Korean relations.”

Trading sunshine for concessions

But reopening Kaesong could go against the spirit of U.N. sanctions to prevent money from going into North Korea’s banned weapons programs, government officials and experts say.

And for Moon to justify a return to engagement, North Korea would first need to at least signal a concession, said Lim Eul-chul, a professor at Kyungnam University in South Korea.

“Most importantly, not to make further provocation, like no more nuclear and missile tests. It can come out and show some kind of forward-looking stance, even if it is just words,” Lim said.

North Korea hinted at further nuclear tests as recently as this week, saying it will bolster its nuclear force “to the maximum” and “in a consecutive and successive way.”

The isolated country has carried out five nuclear tests and a series of missile tests despite ever-tightening U.N. and other international sanctions. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has vowed to launch an intercontinental ballistic missile at any time that can strike the mainland United States with a nuclear weapon.

Wages to weapons

Born out of the first of only two summits between leaders of the two Koreas in 2000, the Kaesong project opened to much fanfare in 2004 as a model of commercial cooperation: capital would come from South Korea and cheap labor from the North.

But critics say hundreds of millions of dollars paid to North Korea over the years as wages for workers at Kaesong were used to fund the development of nuclear weapons and missiles.

North Korea had demanded that the wages be paid to the state and not directly to the workers.

Best path to peace

Jong Kun Choi, who advises the 64-year-old Moon on foreign policy, said the candidate believes better inter-Korean relations is the best way to provide security on the Korean peninsula.

Moon, the son of North Korean refugees who came to the South during the 1950-53 Korean War, would end nine years of conservative rule in Seoul if elected, a time when Pyongyang stepped up its nuclear and missile tests.

“We want to be in the driver’s seat. Driving would mean doing so very actively with the United States, and Pyongyang.”

But he acknowledged the next administration would inherit “some very bad circumstances” that would make it difficult to simply revert to the engagement policies of previous liberal presidents Kim Dae-jung and Roh Moo-hyun, who served from 1998 to 2008.

“How can we inject so-called Sunshine Policy into a situation that is so different to 10 years ago?” Choi told Reuters.

Moon, a human rights lawyer who was a top aide to the late president Roh, has Washington worried his more moderate approach could undercut efforts to increase pressure and sanctions on Pyongyang, senior South Korean government officials said.

Moon’s election would also complicate the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) system. He has repeatedly said the incoming administration should decide whether to deploy the anti-missile system and it should be ratified by parliament.

Wild card factor

A conservative president in Washington and a liberal president in Seoul may not necessarily be an incompatible mix, said John Delury at Seoul’s Yonsei University. Both Moon and Trump, for instance, have indicated they would be willing to meet with Kim Jong Un.

“There’s the wild card factor,” said Delury. “It takes us back to one of Trump’s first statements about North Korea where he said why don’t we talk to the guy. He shares a premise there with South Korean liberals. Are these two guys really so out of joint?”

North Korea’s state media has been quiet about the candidacy of Moon, shielding him from the harsh invective usually reserved for conservative leaders in Seoul.

Rhetoric aside, Moon has said it will be practically impossible to renew dialogue with Pyongyang if it conducts another nuclear test.

Yoo, who employed 430 North Korean workers at a semiconductor parts manufacturing plant in Kaesong, said his revenue has halved since he was forced to leave the industrial zone last year.

A February survey conducted by the association of South Korean companies that operated in Kaesong showed that two-thirds were willing to go back to Kaesong.

“We don’t want to see our companies leaving for China and Vietnam. We want to go back to Kaesong, a symbol of South-North economic cooperation,” Yoo said.

Yoo likened the two Koreas to a divorced couple, saying talks for resumption of the Kaesong project can be “beginning for the divorced couple to get back together.”

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Nepalese Climber Hoping to Be Everest’s Oldest Conqueror Dies Trying

An 85-year-old Nepalese man who was trying to reclaim the title of oldest person to climb Mount Everest died at a base camp late Saturday, officials said.

Min Bahadur Sherchan became known as the oldest climber to reach Everest’s 8,850-meter-high summit in 2008, when he was 76. Five years later, however, the title went to Yichiro Miura of Japan, who was 80.

Nepal does not allow anyone under age 16 to try to climb Everest, but it does not set an upper age limit for climbers.

Mountaineering officials, including one at the base camp, said the likely cause of death was cardiac arrest.

Sherchan told The Associated Press in April that he had been training for months for his second conquest of Everest. He was not a professional climber, but had worked as an apple farmer, construction worker and hotel manager in Kathmandu.  

He was the second climber to die this week in the vicinity of Everest. Famed Swiss climber Ueli Steck, known for his rapid mountaineering ascents, died April 30 when he fell on nearby Mount Nuptse while preparing for an ascent of Everest.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Олланд: атака хакерів на штаб Макрона має бути розслідувана

Президент Франції Франсуа Олланд 6 травня пообіцяв відповісти на хакерську атаку, здійснену проти кандидата в президенти від партії «Вперед» Емманюеля Макрона.

У ніч з п’ятниці на суботу в інтернеті були опубліковані тисячі викрадених електронних листів і документів. Олланд заявив, що йому було відомо про небезпеку хакерських атак під час президентської кампанії, оскільки такі напади відбувалися і в інших країнах. Президент Франції наголосив на необхідності проведення розслідування.

Виборча комісія Франції закликала журналістів не розкривати зміст викрадених листів і документів в останній день перед виборами, коли будь-яка агітація заборонена законом.

У штабі Емманюеля Макрона зазначили, що вся оприлюднена хакерами інформація – в межах закону, про жодні порушення чи зловживання не йдеться. У штабі заявили про «спробу дестабілізації демократії – на кшталт тієї, що сталася під час передвиборної кампанії у США».

У команді Макрона повідомили, що витік інформації, ймовірно, стався кілька тижнів тому, коли кілька співробітників штабу виявили злам їхніх службових і приватних електронних поштових скриньок.

7 травня у Франції відбудеться другий тур президентських виборів, а на заморських територіях голосування вже триває. Згідно з останніми даними, центрист Емманюель Макрон випереджає свою конкурентку – крайню праву Марін Ле Пен.

Про хакерську атаку на комп’ютери свого штабу заявляла минулого року Гілларі Клінтон, яка балотувалася на президента США й у підсумку програла Дональду Трампу. Клінтон звинувачувала у нападі Росію, хоч у самій Москві такі звинувачення спростовували. Конгрес США нині розслідує ймовірний вплив Росії на перебіг президентської кампанії.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Уряд Нігерії заявив про звільнення з полону «Боко Харам» 82 школярок-заручниць

Уряд Нігерії повідомив, що бойовики угруповання «Боко Харам» 6 травня відпустили 82 з понад 200 школярок, захоплених у 2014 році.

Урядовці, що говорили на умовах анонімності, заявили, що звільнення заручниць вдалося досягти шляхом переговорів. Досі незрозуміло, чи влада Нігерії заплатила викуп, чи погодилася звільнити захоплених бойовиків «Боко Харам» в обмін на свободу школярок.

Ці дівчатка були серед загалом 276 учениць, викрадених у квітні 2014 року пов’язаною із «Аль-Каїдою» екстремістською групою. Це сталося в середній школі в населеному пункті Чибок на півночі Нігерії.

57 дівчаток втекли з полону за кілька місяців після викрадення. Ще 21 полонянка була звільнена в жовтні 2016 року і в січні 2017 року, також ще кільком бранкам вдалося втекти.

Але навіть після останнього звільнення понад 100 учениць досі вважаються зниклими.

Село Чибок, звідки викрали дівчаток, є переважно християнським, і дівчатка, які не були мусульманками, були змушені прийняти іслам. Жертви викрадень, деякі з них у віці дев’яти років, за повідомленнями, були змушені вступати в шлюб з бойовиками «Боко Харам».

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Міністр оборони США підтвердив підтримку цілісності і незалежності України

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Російський опозиціонер Навальний подався на візу, щоб лікуватися у Європі

Російський опозиціонер Олексій Навальний подав документи на візу у Європу, де він планує лікувати пошкоджене опіком око. Про це повідомив голова штабу Навального Леонід Волков.

Волков не уточнив, де саме Навальний хоче лікуватися. Сам опозиціонер раніше казав про ймовірність лікування в Іспанії чи Швейцарії.

Наприкінці квітня у Москві на Навального напали і вилили на нього зеленку. У результаті він отримав хімічний опік правого ока. Олексій Навальний каже,що око бачить на 15%, але шанси на відновлення зору є.

На початку травня міграційна служба повернула опозиціонеру, умовно засудженому у справі про розкрадання в компанії «Кіровліс», його закордонний паспорт.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Тандіт: 128 людей незаконно утримуються у Донецьку і Луганську

У заручниках на території непідконтрольних України територій Донбасу залишається наразі 128 людей, заявив а ефірі «5 каналу» радник голови СБУ Юрій Тандіт.

«На сьогоднішній день 128 осіб незаконно утримується у Донецьку і Луганську, ще десятеро – в Росії. Ми знаємо про кожну людину все детально, ми спілкуємося з рідними, близькими. Але за останні півтори роки тема максимально заполітизована. Ми розуміємо, що рішення ухвалюється в Кремлі, але кількість звільнених або знайдених зростає», – заявив він.

Тандіт нагадав, що у грудні минулого року сепаратистам передали на знак доброї волі 15 людей, щодо яких відкриті провадження про злочини проти територіальної цілісності України і які були в списках на обмін від угруповань «ДНР» і «ЛНР».

«Зараз ми вийшли на верифікацію. До 15 травня будуть оглянуті люди, які не хочуть туди повертатись, хоча вони є у списках», – каже радник.

4 травня представниця від України в гуманітарній підгрупі Тристоронньої робочої групи депутат Ірина Геращенко заявила, що через вибори, зокрема, у Німеччині і Франції «нормандський формат» переговорів нині фактично «поставлений на паузу», і це напряму впливає на похідний від нього «мінський формат». Двома днями раніше про неможливість зустрічі у «нормандському форматі» до завершення французьких виборів говорив речник Кремля Дмитро Песков.

Остання зустріч керівників держав «нормандського формату» – України, Німеччини, Франції і Росії – відбулася восени минулого року. Тоді домовилися, що голови МЗС цих країн мають підготувати «дорожню карту», яка узгодила б цю послідовність виконання пунктів усіх трьох головних мінських угод: Мінського протоколу від 5 вересня 2014 року, Мінського меморандуму від 19 вересня 2014 року і Мінського комплексу заходів від 12 лютого 2015 року. До цього часу керівники МЗС у «нормандському форматі» не дійшли згоди щодо «дорожньої карти».

Після російської анексії Криму на Донбасі триває збройний конфлікт. Україна і Захід звинувачують Росію у збройній підтримці сепаратистів і невиконанні Мінських угод. Кремль відкидає ці звинувачення. Щодо Мінських домовленостей Москва заявляє, що є лише гарантом їхнього виконання, але не стороною і не має ніяких зобов’язань за ними.

За даними ініціативи #LetMyPeopleGo, нині у заручниках на території Росії та анексованого нею Криму перебуває 44 українці. За ці роки, поки триває конфлікт, 6 людей звільнили.