$1*/ mo hosting! Everything you need to succeed online with us!
Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Taliban Again Seize Northern Afghanistan City

Taliban militants captured a district just outside the northern Afghan city of Kunduz Saturday, officials said.

Mahfouz Akbari, a police spokesman for eastern Afghanistan, said security forces pulled out of Qala-i-Zal district, west of Kunduz city, Saturday to avoid further civilian and military casualties after more than 24 hours of heavy fighting.

In a statement, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the insurgents had taken the police headquarters, the governor’s compound and all security checkpoints. He said several police and soldiers had been killed and wounded.

Taliban there before

Over the past 18 months, Taliban insurgents have twice succeeded in seizing the town center of Kunduz for brief periods and the latest fighting underscores warnings that Afghan forces face another grueling year of fighting.

A shopkeeper, whose name is also Zabihullah, said the situation was reminiscent of last October when Taliban forces entered the city before being driven back after days of fighting and air strikes.

“I am extremely worried. There are security forces everywhere,” he said. “Everyone in my family is worried and if the situation gets worse, we’ll have to leave.”

Heavy fighting

According to U.S. estimates, government fighters control about 60 percent of the country, with the rest either controlled or contested by the insurgents, who are seeking to reimpose Islamic law after their 2001 ouster.

Although the Taliban made a formal announcement of their spring offensive last week, there had been heavy fighting from the northern province of Badakhshan to the Taliban heartlands of Helmand and Kandahar in the south.

In the Helmand province Saturday, Gen. Aqa Noor Kentoz, provincial police chief, said at least four police officers were killed Friday night at a checkpoint on the outskirts of Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital.

 

The four might have been attacked by an insider, Kentoz said, and an investigation is underway.

 

No one immediately claimed responsibility.

There have also been several operations against Islamic State militants in the eastern province of Nangarhar, which have also involved U.S. special forces and air strikes.

More than 1,000 members of Afghan security forces have been killed since the start of the year, according to Afghan officials and figures cited by U.S. Congressional watchdog SIGAR, along with more than 700 civilians.

Also, more than 75,000 people have been forced to flee their homes in the first four months of the year, according to United Nations figures.

More troops needed

Earlier this year, the top NATO commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson, said he needed a few thousand more international troops to boost the Resolute Support training and advisory mission and break a “stalemate” with the Taliban.

The U.S. military is due to make its formal recommendations to President Donald Trump within the next week, a senior official told a Senate committee last week.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Tribe That Worships Prince Philip, Dismayed by His Retirement

The retirement of Britain’s Prince Philip from public life led world headlines Thursday, but his most devout and remote followers have only just heard the news.

A tribe in Vanuatu was shocked and dismayed to discover Saturday that the man they pray to as the son of an ancestral local mountain god will likely never return to their Pacific Island home.

The British royal, who said he would no longer take part in public engagements, alone or alongside his wife, Queen Elizabeth II, is part of the fabric of life in the village of Younanen on Tanna Island.

Daily prayers for blessing

Villagers pray to the 95-year-old prince daily, asking for his blessing on the banana and yam crops that make their primitive and extremely poor community self-sufficient.

“If he comes one day the people will not be poor, there will be no sickness, no debt and the garden will be growing very well,” village chief Jack Malia told Reuters through an interpreter at the village’s Nakamal, a traditional meeting place where the men gather at night to drink highly intoxicating kava.

Villagers have several photos of the prince, including one dated 1980 of him in a suit, holding a club they made for him and sent to London.

“Prince Philip has said one day he will come and visit us,” said Malia, who was born in 1964 but did not know his birthday.

“We still believe that he will come but if he doesn’t come, the pictures that I am holding … it means nothing.”

Local legend and Philip

According to local legend, the pale-skinned son of the mountain god had ventured across the seas to look for a rich and powerful woman to marry.

Anthropologists believe Philip, who fitted the bill by marrying a powerful woman, became linked to the legend in the 1960s when Vanuatu was an Anglo-French colony known as the New Hebrides. Villagers at the time were likely to have seen portraits of Philip and the Queen at government offices and police stations run by colonial officials.

The belief that Philip, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, was indeed the traveling son was reinforced in 1974 when he and the Queen made an official visit to the New Hebrides.

“Prince Philip is important to us because our ancestors told us that part of our custom is in England,” said Malia, who took over from his father as village chief in 2003.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

Thailand Pulls Passport of Fugitive Red Bull Heir

Thailand’s government has canceled the passport of a fugitive heir to the Red Bull energy drink fortune who is wanted on deadly hit-and-run charges, a Foreign Ministry official said.

 

Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya will no longer be able to enter other countries on that passport, and his immigration status is invalid in whatever country he is visiting, making him subject to penalties under that country’s laws, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Busadee Santipitak said Friday. 

 

Vorayuth fled Thailand last month just before a warrant for his arrest was issued. He flew to Singapore two days before he was to appear before prosecutors in one of several planes owned by his family’s companies, but left two days later. His current whereabouts are unknown. 

5-year-old warrant

 

The warrant was issued almost five years after Vorayuth allegedly left a motorcycle police officer dead after crashing into him with his Ferrari at high speed. 

 

Police Maj. Gen. Apichart Suribunya said earlier this week that Friday Thailand would begin the process of having Interpol issue a Blue Notice advising officials in 190 countries that Vorayuth is wanted.

 

His family is half-owner of the Red Bull energy drink company, which has brought them an estimated wealth of more than $20 billion.

Tracked by journalists, social media

 

Earlier this year, The Associated Press watched Vorayuth, 32, and his family enjoying a $1,000-a-night vacation in Laos, and reported on more than 120 social media postings of him traveling in luxury through more than nine countries since the accident, snowboarding in Japan, attending Grand Prix races with team Red Bull and visiting beach resorts.

 

All that time he’d been repeatedly telling prosecutors, through his attorney, that he was sick or out of the country on business when called in to face charges. His attorney and Red Bull have not responded to requests for comment.

 

Since the AP report, friends and family who had been posting his photos on social media over the years have stopped. Although his Facebook page is still up, the name has changed, and was updated with a photo of an airplane wing.

 

Vorayuth is not necessarily immobilized by having his Thai passport revoked. It is possible to obtain a passport in several countries by making a minimum level of investment, or in some cases, what amounts to almost a straight cash payment.

 

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been abroad since 2008 to avoid serving a prison term for what he has described as a politically motivated conviction on a conflict of interest charge. His Thai passports, an official one and an ordinary one, were revoked, but he holds passports from Montenegro and reportedly Nicaragua, and travels frequently from his home in exile in Dubai.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

China’s Ambitious Effort to Challenge Boeing Airbus Takes Off

China has completed a test flight for its first domestically built medium-sized passenger jet. The C919 can carry up to 175 passengers and aims to compete with industry champions such as the Boeing 737 and Airbus 320. But, as VOA’s Bill Ide reports, the milestone trip is only a first jaunt in a much longer journey.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

North Korea Accuses US of Plotting Kim Assassination

North Korea on Friday accused the governments of the United States and South Korea of carrying out an unsuccessful assassination attempt against leader Kim Jong Un.

State media reports quoted the country’s security ministry as saying it would “ferret out and mercilessly destroy” the agents in the U.S. and South Korean spy agencies it accuses of plotting the attack.

A cash deal

According to the Ministry of State Security, American and South Korean spies coerced a North Korean citizen into carrying out the assassination attempt in return for money and supplied the would-be assassin with satellite equipment to track Kim’s movement.

The cooperation between spies and the North Korean man, identified only by his surname, Kim, allegedly began in 2014 when agents approached him while he was working in Russia.

Upon returning home, the spies allegedly had repeated contact with the man, and last month informed him he would use a biochemical weapon to carry out the assassination.

No details revealed

The North Korean statement did not provide details about how it allegedly broke up the assassination plot or if anyone else involved was in custody. North Korea regularly lashes out at the U.S. and South Korea, though the allegations lodged Friday were more specific than usual.

The CIA declined to comment on the allegations.

Earlier this year, Kim’s exiled half-brother was assassinated at a Malaysian airport in a similar fashion to that described by the security ministry. The chemical attack, using the VX agent, is largely believed to have been carried out by North Korea, though the country denies involvement.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Суд обрав нічний арешт для п’ятого підозрюваного у справі «СхідГЗК» – НАБУ

Солом’янський районний суд Києва обрав запобіжний захід у вигляді нічного домашнього арешту одному з керівників державного концерну «Ядерне паливо» у справі «СхідГЗК».

За інформацією НАБУ, це вже п’ятий підозрюваний. (Його імені не називають).

«Одному з керівників державного концерну «Ядерне паливо» (до складу якого входить ДП «Східний гірничо-збагачувальний комбінат»), якого підозрюють у причетності до розкрадання коштів «СхідГЗК» у розмірі 17,28 млн дол. США, обрано запобіжний захід у вигляді нічного домашнього арешту. Також рішенням суду підозрюваного зобов’язали носити електронний засіб контролю (браслет) та здати усі паспорти», – повідомили ввечері 5 травня у Національному антикорупційному бюро України.

«Вказаний посадовець підозрюється у вчиненні злочину, передбаченого за ч.1 ст.255, ч.5 ст.27, ч.4 ст.28, ч.5 ст.191 Кримінального кодексу України («Створення злочинної організації», («Привласнення, розтрата майна або заволодіння ним шляхом зловживання службовим становищем»)», – зазначили у НАБУ.

За повідомленням НАБУ, 22 квітня йому повідомили про підозру у порядку, встановленому для випадків, коли підозрюваний перебуває за межами України. 4 травня він отримав повідомлення про підозру особисто.

20 квітня детективи НАБУ і прокурори САП затримали колишнього депутата Верховної Ради Миколу Мартиненка і першого заступника голови правління НАК «Нафтогаз України», колишнього голову спостережної ради Одеського припортового заводу Сергія Перелому. Їх підозрюють за статтями «створення злочинної організації» і «привласнення, розтрата майна або заволодіння ним шляхом зловживання службовим становищем» у рамках справи про розтрату коштів державного підприємства «СхідГЗК». Обидва заперечують свою провину.

Пізніше Солом’янський суд Києва відпустив обох на поруки народних депутатів і міністрів.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Чотири країни приєдналися до санкцій ЄС через загрозу територіальній цілісності України

Чотири країни – Україна, Чорногорія, Албанія і Норвегія – приєдналися до санкцій Ради ЄС, запроваджені 13 березня, через загрозу територіальній цілісності України. Про це йдеться у заяві на сайті Ради ЄС.

«Рішенням Ради продовжуються існуючі обмежувальні заходи до 15 вересня 2017 року. Цими заходами є заморожування активів і заборона на поїздки щодо осіб та організацій, відповідальних за дії, що підривають або загрожують територіальній цілісності, суверенітету і незалежності України. Країни-кандидати Чорногорія і Албанія, а також країна, що входить до Європейського економічного простору Норвегія, також Україна приєднуються до цього рішення Ради», – йдеться в повідомленні.

У заяві також йдеться, що країни, які приєдналися до санкцій, повинні зробити так, аби їхня національна політика відповідала рішенням Ради ЄС щодо санкцій. 

13 березня Рада Європейського союзу продовжила ще на півроку обмежувальні заходи, впроваджені Євросоюзом через порушення або загрозу територіальній цілісності, суверенітету та незалежності України. Вони діятимуть до 15 вересня 2017 року. Ці санкції включають заморожування активів і заборону на в’їзд до ЄС 150 особам і 37 організаціям.

Ці обмежувальні заходи були впроваджені у березні 2014 року і востаннє продовжені у вересні 2016 року, як реакція Європейського Союзу на кризу в Україні. Вони включають з одного боку, економічні санкції, спрямовані на конкретні сектори російської економіки, чинні до 31 липня 2017 року. З іншого боку, це обмежувальні заходи у відповідь на незаконну анексію Криму і Севастополя, чинні до 23 червня 2017 року.

 

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Іран: суперники Роугані розкритикували його через ядерні домовленості

В Ірані під час передвиборчих теледебатів головні суперники чинного президента Хассана Роугані розкритикували його політику.

Суперники звинуватили Роугані у тому, що він не зміг покращити економічну ситуацію у країні після підписання у 2015 році угоди про обмеження ядерної програми Тегерана в обмін на скасування санкцій Заходу.

Клірик Ебрагім Раїсі заявив, що ядерні домовленості не покращили життя іранців. «Ця угода як чек, який уряд не може перевести у готівку», – заявив Раїсі. Він також звинуватив уряд Роугані у демонстрації слабкості під час ядерних переговорів.

Але попри крику, Ебрагім Раїсі заявив, що у разі обрання виконуватиме зобов’язання у рамках цієї угоди.

Мер Тегерана Бакер Калібаф також заявив, що іранці не отримали вигоди від ядерної угоди. Він звинуватив Хассана Роугані у тому, що той надто покладається на іноземні інвестиції, а не на власні ресурси.

Калібаф, який втретє балотується на посаду президента також каже, що збереже угоду у разі обрання.

Хассан Роугані, що прийшов до влади у 2013 році, відстоює свою політику, а консерваторів звинувачує у саботажі ядерної угоди і спробах підірвати ядерні домовленості.

«Якщо ядерна угода є прийнятною, то чому ви розвішували білборди у Тегерані? Чому ви ображали переговорників?», – зазначив Роугані.

Президент Ірану також розкритикував Корпус вартових Ісламської революції через проведення провокативних ракетних випробувань з антиізраїльськими гаслами.

Ці дебати, другі із трьох запланованих перед президентськими виборами 19 травня, були присвячені політичним і культурним питанням.

Треті, останні, дебати заплановані на 12 травня.