$1*/ mo hosting! Everything you need to succeed online with us!

Daily Archives

6 Articles

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

US General: Google’s Work in China Benefiting China’s Military

The United States’ top general said on Thursday that the Chinese military was benefiting from the work Alphabet Inc’s Google was doing in China, where the technology giant has long sought to have a bigger presence.

“The work that Google is doing in China is indirectly benefiting the Chinese military,” Marine General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing.

“We watch with great concern when industry partners work in China knowing that there is that indirect benefit,” he said.

“Frankly, ‘indirect’ may be not a full characterization of the way it really is, it is more of a direct benefit to the Chinese military.”

Last year Google said it was no longer vying for a $10 billion cloud computing contract with the U.S. Defense Department, in part because the company’s new ethical guidelines do not align with the project.

In June, Google said it would not renew a contract to help the U.S. military analyze aerial drone imagery when it expires, as the company sought to defuse an internal uproar over the deal.

At the same time, Google said it has “no plans” to relaunch a search engine in China, though it is continuing to study the idea.

During the hearing, Republican Senator Josh Hawley sharply criticized the tech company, referring to it as “a supposedly American company.”

Technology companies have recently been a favorite target of many members of the U.S. Congress, who have criticized them over a wide range of issues such as privacy, work in China and allowing foreign meddling in U.S. elections.

Lawmakers and Google employees have raised concerns the company would comply with China’s internet censorship and surveillance policies if it re-enters the Asian nation’s search engine market.

Asked about Dunford’s comments, Google referred to previous statements.

Google Chief Executive Sundar Pichai has previously said the company has invested in China for years and plans to continue to do so, but that the company also was continuing to work with the U.S. government on projects in health care, cybersecurity and other fields.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

US Warns China’s Detention of Uighurs to Counter Terrorism Will Backfire

A senior U.S. official has rejected China’s claim that the mass internment of Uighurs and other Muslim minorities in China’s Xinjiang region is part of a counter-terrorism program and says it will backfire. The United States co-hosted an event on the sidelines of the U.N. Human Rights Council to put the spotlight on the dire situation of Xinjiang’s ethnic minorities.

The United Nations says China is arbitrarily detaining more than one million Uighurs and other ethnic Muslims in so-called re-education camps in Xinjiang Province.  Human Rights activists say they are subjected to torture and brainwashing.

Adrian Zenz, an independent researcher who focuses on China’s ethnic policy, says China is interning ethnic minorities, separating families and sending children to state-run orphanages to maintain ideological control over them.

“All-in-all the Chinese State’s present attempt to eradicate independent and free expressions of distinct ethnic and religious identities in Xinjiang is nothing less than a systematic campaign of cultural genocide and should be treated as such,” said Zenz.

China denies these charges. It says the de-radicalization of Uighurs in the camps is intended to counter terrorism and prevent violent extremism from gaining hold.

U.S. Ambassador Kelley Currie says the conflation of ethnic and religious identity with terrorism and efforts to erase the identity of the Muslim groups is unjustifiable and outside any legal norms. She says it also is deeply counter-productive to China’s stated goal of preventing extremism.

“By engaging in the wholesale repression of an ethnic and religious minority in this way, they are inviting further alienation, further isolation, further resentment among this community in a way that is not likely to lead to peaceful co-existence and the long-term stability of the region,” said Currie.

Currie says the United States has been actively trying to engage Muslim majority countries to pressure China to change its repressive policies toward the Uighurs. She says Washington is disappointed by the lack of response from members of the OIC or Organization for Islamic Cooperation.

She says the U.S. applauds Turkey’s recent statement publicly calling on China to close the re-education camps. Unfortunately, she says this comment was swiftly followed by retribution from China.

China has demanded Turkey withdraw what it calls false accusations. Relations between the two countries remain tense and observers fear this ongoing spat could negatively impact their political and economic alliance.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Worldkrap on

China Investment Laws Fail to Deliver, Raise New Concerns

China’s top legislature is expected to pass the country’s first Foreign Investment Law this week at a time when negotiators from Beijing and Washington work to hammer out a trade deal.

Analysts and business groups say the legislation is a step in the right direction, but still falls short. In some ways, they add, it even raises new concerns that negotiators need to address before the two sides reach a deal.

For decades, China has been grappling with the question of just how far and how fast it should open up its state directed economy, and steps — while always welcome — have long lagged behind expectations. The Foreign Investment Law is not different.

In a statement, the American Chamber of Commerce in China (AmCham China) said it welcomes the law and appreciates the effort to improve the investment environment.

“We are concerned, however, that such an important and potentially far-reaching piece of legislation will be enacted without extensive consultation and input from industry stakeholders, including Foreign Invested Enterprises,” the statement said.

An earlier version of the law was put together in 2015, but later stalled during the review process, only to resurface more recently. When it did, the wording was more general and more vague, analysts note. By contrast, the first version had 171 articles, the new one has 41.

This some argue, helped pave the way for the bills speedy passage. NPC Observer, a website that closely follows China’s legislature or National People’s Congress, notes that by keeping the legislation vague, the government will have more room and time to craft implementing regulations after the law is enacted.

“The law is phrased and drafted with very general provisions. There are a number of things that are not covered in there, such as what percentage of foreign investment qualifies as foreign invested,” said Lester Ross, who heads AmCham China’s policy committee. “Another major concern is the requirement for security assessments even for non-mergers and acquisitions, even for greenfield investments, which seems unnecessary.”

Subsidies still an issue

The newer version of the law was fast-tracked as Washington and Beijing work to hammer out a trade deal. While the provisions in the legislation address some persistent concerns, such as forced technology transfers, equal access to government procurement and national treatment, it does not address other issues, such as subsidies for state owned enterprises.

Clearly though, the legislation was pushed through the system in part to address what is being discussed at the negotiation table, said Mats Harborn, president of the European Chamber of Commerce in China.

“It is more than a law, it is a document that states principles and it is a document that states principles that we [foreign investors] would like to hear. And it also states the principles that U.S. negotiators want to have on paper from China,” Harborn said. “But the proof in the pudding will be the implementation.”

National security concerns

And while the law echoes concerns that are part of what trade negotiators are discussing, issues such as the broad application of national security reviews and the mention of national security in the law are cause for concern, argues Austin Lowe, a Washington D.C.-based consultant and analyst.

In a recent article on the legal and national security website Lawfare, Lowe highlighted provisions in the legislation that foreign companies should not “harm national security or the public interest” and that businesses that affect national security should be subject to a review.

“Together, these provisions essentially give the state — and, in turn, the Chinese Communist Party — free rein to intervene in a wide range of investment activity, signaling to foreign investors that they are better off avoiding any investment in an area that may be construed as politically sensitive or threatening,” he wrote.

Ross notes that while security reviews have been in place since 2011, they have, so far, been used very selectively and largely for mergers and acquisitions.

“Now it looks like this is an additional hurdle that will apply across the board,” he said.

While it doesn’t mean that every investment could face such scrutiny, there are no bounds to how it can be applied, and in some cases that would require revealing a company’s intellectual property, Ross added.

“When you put national security into any document it creates a great deal of arbitrary judgement on what is national security and what is not,” notes the EU Chamber of Commerce’s Mats Harborn. “It is a very wide definition that creates uncertainty.”

Not only does it create uncertainty, but the questions the new law raises will add to the issues negotiators will need to resolve going forward, Ross said.

“While on the one hand it is a good thing that they are showing some significant degree of intention to reduce barriers to foreign investment and actually making some substantive changes, once the law is in place it may actually be more difficult to make departures from that in the course of the negotiations,” he said.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Мей не виключила можливість ще одного голосування щодо плану Brexit

Прем’єр-міністр Великобританії Тереза Мей не виключає проведення третього голосування в парламенті стосовно плану виходу Сполученого королівства з Європейського союзу. Про це повідомляє агентство Bloomberg.

Сьогодні палата громад британського парламенту розгляне питання відтермування Brexit.

Перед початком обговорення, на 15:30 за Києвом Мей планує зустрітися з членами свого Кабінету.

Вихід Британії з ЄС запланований на 29 березня, але може бути перенесений, якщо Брюссель погодиться на офіційне прохання Британії з цього приводу.

Президент Європейської Ради Дональд Туск заявив 14 березня, що ЄС готовий відкласти Brexit на «довгий термін», якщо Лондон про це попросить.

Представники ЄС раніше стверджували, що Лондон має надати серйозне обґрунтування для такого перенесення і чіткий план дій. Наприкінці травня відбудуться вибори до Європарламенту, і участь у них Великої Британії створить складну правову колізію.

За даними соціологічної компанії YouGov, 49% британців вважають, що вихід країни з ЄС треба перенести з 29 березня на більш пізній термін. Проти виступають 34%. Решта опитаних не мають твердої думки. Вихід без угоди з ЄС підтримують тільки 20 відсотків респондентів.

Читайте також: Британські депутати відкидають план прем’єра щодо Brexit. Можливі варіанти розвитку подій

Напередодні консерватор Чарлз Волкер заявив Бі-Бі-Сі, що у Великій Британії повинні бути оголошені дострокові вибори в разі провалу плану Мей.

Європейські політики заявляють, що більше не будуть вести з Лондоном переговорів про зміни в угоді про Brexit. Однак у Великій Британії залишається можливість відкликати свою заявку про вихід (проти чого виступає велика частина парламенту й уряд).

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Надання соцдопомоги під час виборчої кампанії не врегульоване законом – МВС

Міністерство внутрішніх справ України закликає органи місцевого самоврядування і місцевої влади утриматися від надання соціальної допомоги під час виборчої кампанії. Про це під час брифінгу в Одесі 14 березня заявив радник міністра Іван Варченко. Ця процедура не врегульована в правовому полі визнав він, але нагадав про етику.

«Ми рекомендуємо органам державної влади і органам місцевого самоврядування утриматися від того, щоб роздавати гроші на соціальну допомогу. Це створює нездорову атмосферу і сумніви, в тому, що ці органи є порядними. Ця ситуація не врегульована в правовому полі, але якщо це не критична потреба, ми рекомендуємо утримуватися від того, щоб роздавати матеріальну допомогу громадянам. Її можна видати після голосування», – заявив Варченко.

Про запущену систему підкупу виборців за допомогою адмінресурсу раніше заявляв міністр внутрішніх справ Арсен Аваков в ефірі програми «Свобода слова» на телеканалі ICTV.

За його інформацією, по тисячі гривень із місцевих бюджетів отримують ті громадяни, які заявили про готовність підтримати «провладного кандидата» на виборах. Аваков наголосив, що найпопулярніша ця схема в Києві, Одесі й Одеській області, а також на Харківщині.

На брифінгу Варченко також нагадав, що кандидати не мають права оплачувати роботу агітаторів готівкою. Це кваліфікується як підкуп виборця. Радник Авакова пообіцяв, що Міністерство внутрішніх справ залишатиметься політично нейтральним і наголосив, що у західних партнерів не має з’явитися жодних сумнівів в легітимності обраного президента.

Станом на 14 березня правоохоронці зареєстрували майже три тисячі звернень громадян про порушення виборчого законодавства. За цими зверненнями було розпочато 155 кримінальних проваджень.

Третина з них стосується підкупу виборців, ще третина – хуліганства під час передвиборчих заходів. Також поліція розслідує чотири провадження про порушення порядків фінансування виборчої кампанії та два про порушення прав журналістів.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
Posted by Ukrap on

Прокуратура АРК направила в суд обвинувальні акти про держзраду щодо 87 кримських депутатів

Прокуратура Автономної Республіки Крим направила до суду обвинувальні акти щодо 87 кримських депутатів, яких звинувачують у пособництві анексії Криму Росією, повідомляє прес-служба відомства.

«П’ять років тому депутати Верховної Ради АР Крим і депутати Севастопольської міської ради, незважаючи на припинення своїх повноважень Верховною Радою України, проголосували за ухвалення низки постанов для легітимізації спроби анексії Криму», – йдеться в повідомленні.

У прокуратурі АРК відзначили, що дії кримських депутатів кваліфікують як державну зраду. За даними відомства, йдеться про 21 депутата Севастопольської міської ради і 66 депутатів Верховної Ради АР Крим.

У відомстві повідомили, що одного з депутатів Верховної Ради АР Крим Василя Ганиша в листопаді 2018 року суд визнав винним у державній зраді і засудив до 12 років позбавлення волі.

На території Криму і Севастополя 16 березня 2014 року відбувся невизнаний світом «референдум» про статус півострова, за результатами якого Росія включила Крим до свого складу. Ні Україна, ні Європейський союз, ні США не визнали результати голосування на «референдумі». Президент Росії Володимир Путін 18 березня оголосив про «приєднання» Криму до Росії.

Міжнародні організації визнали окупацію і анексію Криму незаконними і засудили дії Росії. Країни Заходу запровадили низку економічних санкцій. Росія заперечує окупацію півострова і називає це «відновленням історичної справедливості». Верховна Рада України офіційно оголосила датою початку тимчасової окупації Криму і Севастополя Росією 20 лютого 2014 року.